EF Education First - Ef360 program is a glorified internship (intern ++) | Glassdoor

"Ef360 program is a glorified internship (intern ++)"

Former Employee - EF360 Tech Trainee in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

The rotational aspect of the program was great for figuring out what technologies I was interested in working with (eg. mobile development, microservices, cloud development). I would spend perhaps 3 months on one team and then move to another once I finished up a main project. In terms of travel, I did get the opportunity to travel abroad, but due to personal conflicts, I asked the company to send me on an EF tour in NYC and they kindly accommodated. The office is also beautiful, and the park outside of the office is great for having walking meetings, one-on-ones, or simply relaxing. Furthermore, although a bit pricy at times, it is quite convenient to have Lingo (the company cafe) right on the bottom floor.

Cons

Firstly, the lack of attention that people of color get at the Boston office is severely lacking. EF utilizes minimal effort when it comes to recruiting a diverse workforces, and, although this has been addressed to many executives (including the CEO), management refuses to do anything about it. For example, when a black employee brought this problem to the CEO, the CEO responded with "but we have many international offices in places like China and Europe". Although I did learn a lot during my time at EF, it became evident at the very beginning of my time at EF that the company does not invest very much in their employees. Although there is a rotational aspect to the program, there is very little direction once you arrive on the team. There was also minimal communication from my manager and the team I was entering, which made my entrance into the teams quite abrupt. They advertise the "independent" aspect of the program as a pro, but they forgot to consider that you need SOME direction and guidance when it comes to projects. They seem to expect that one person can be a programmer, pm, designer, scrum master at once without any help. Furthermore, the reason why this program felt like an over-glorified internship was because I seemed to always be given miscellaneous projects that died the moment I left a team to start the next project. The teams themselves were always too busy with their own responsibilities to maintain the projects. I joined the program mainly because of the supposedly high impact.

Advice to Management

Put more effort in hiring people of color and raise peoples' salaries. You're a billion dollar company who is taking advantage of young, energetic people who will grind for 2 years and then leave from burnout.

EF Education First2019-11-23
  1. "Great place to work at"

Current Employee - Product Owner

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

#1 Large Company to work for in Boston per Boston Glove rating

Cons

None for me, thank you

EF Education First2019-11-15
  2. "Fun Company"

Current Employee - Educational Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Young environment feel - Very collaborative - Your voice will always be heard and the company values employee feedback - Everyone is contagiously happy and hard working - They throw amazing parties as well

Cons

- Salary, not so great

EF Education First2020-01-22

Discover more reviews about EF Education First.