EF English First - EF Tangshan | Glassdoor

"EF Tangshan"

in New York, NY

I worked at EF English First for more than 8 years

Pros

Some say if you can work here, you can work anywhere. I don't see the need for a teacher to supper unnecessarily, and think prospective teacher should choose the best school and location with the best hours and salary that they can find. In that regard, EF Tangshan has nothing to offer.

Cons

As you will learn, EF Tangshan has some of the longest hours, the lowest pay, and the worst conditions you'll find anywhere. Since I've worked for EF, I've taught and traveled all over the world, and this place ranks as by far the worst. The salary is very low, and the hours are unbeleivable--roughly double the requirements of any other school (I do not recommend working at a private language school at all unless... you are making very, very good money, which you can at some of these schools. Otherwise, you can very easily find a school that pays better and where you teach 15 to 20 hours a week, giving you the time and funds to travel and explore). Finally, Tangshan is not a tourist attraction--it is an industrial city, and often makes lists of most poluted cities in the world. So be aware of that, although it is close enough to Beijing for weekend trips. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting place to live for a year, but if you need a western restaurant or bar once in a while for some respite, this may also not be the city for you.

EF English First2018-12-23

"Meh..."

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time

Pros

Great experience within the country

Cons

The pay is very low

EF English First2019-07-09

"Nope. Nope. Nope."

Current Contractor - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at EF English First for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays on time. That's about it.

Cons

If you want to work 80 hours a month and get paid for 60. Cancellations and No-Shows take a toll and management doesn't care. Recent change in US management office has left it totally unorganized. They can't keep track of raises, hours, or answer problems promptly. The only job I've ever ahd where you get dinged for being LESS THAT 1 MINUTE LATE. Rude and uncaring students. Teachers who praise just to get a... good review and pass students on without teaching them anything. I've had Upper Intermediate students who cannot tell you their name and have gotten 90s on every class before that. I complained to management and was told it was a shame that some teachers did not follow procedures. No chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Actually teach students. Don't collect money and not share. You get paid for cancellations and no-shows, don't ding the teachers that show up ready to work. Since you changed the policy on writing, there often are not writing assignments available to make up. I'm moving on to another company. Almost everyone pays better and the culture cannot be worse.

EF English First2019-10-06

Discover more reviews about EF English First.