EF English First - Horrible | Glassdoor

"Horrible"

ESL Teacher

I have been working at EF English First

Pros

Meet and learn about people from different parts of the world. It's a joy to be able to communicate with different people and know that you created an impact on their lives.

Cons

Low pay, staff unwilling to help. They make you feel worthless and they make it seem like it's bothersome to even ask for help. there was one day that I couldn't enter class for some reason and I created a case and emailed one of the support staff emails in the handbook we received during orientation. They apparently sent a mass update email on a new support number and said ''well, you should have known about the... update because we send emails with our newsletters all the time." Everything is your fault and not theirs. I also called the sub number once as I couldn't enter class another time and the person that answered said "well, you're supposed to call 24 hours ahead of time before calling." I really wanted to say that I didn't know I wouldn't be able to enter class until that day of class. She just cut me off like that. Rude staff and like I said.."It's your fault." They also require you make custom slides on your free time without pay. Please look elsewhere where they will not treat you like a slave and like a human. Only apply if you absolutely need a job. -heed my warning, please.

Advice to Management

Be willing to help those who ask questions without being irritated and rude about it. We ask questions to do better, to better your company, to serve our students better, but instead we get a lashing. Who would be happy to work for such a company?

EF English First2015-12-04

"Meh..."

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time

Pros

Great experience within the country

Cons

The pay is very low

EF English First2019-07-09

"Nope. Nope. Nope."

Current Contractor - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at EF English First for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays on time. That's about it.

Cons

If you want to work 80 hours a month and get paid for 60. Cancellations and No-Shows take a toll and management doesn't care. Recent change in US management office has left it totally unorganized. They can't keep track of raises, hours, or answer problems promptly. The only job I've ever ahd where you get dinged for being LESS THAT 1 MINUTE LATE. Rude and uncaring students. Teachers who praise just to get a... good review and pass students on without teaching them anything. I've had Upper Intermediate students who cannot tell you their name and have gotten 90s on every class before that. I complained to management and was told it was a shame that some teachers did not follow procedures. No chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Actually teach students. Don't collect money and not share. You get paid for cancellations and no-shows, don't ding the teachers that show up ready to work. Since you changed the policy on writing, there often are not writing assignments available to make up. I'm moving on to another company. Almost everyone pays better and the culture cannot be worse.

EF English First2019-10-06

Discover more reviews about EF English First.