EFCO (Iowa) - Some things never change | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EFCO (Iowa)

"Some things never change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Location is good for commuting. Newer office building is nice.

Cons

I agree with previous poster and it sounds like nothing has changed since I was there years ago. I would warn anyone thinking about going there for a job to realize that if you aren't a friend or pet of the owners you will stay in a dead-end job with very a poor chance for decent raises. Family-owned, and it shows in a negative response to anything the owner doesn't want to do. He has a "little boy" temper and isn't averse to letting it out on anyone that upsets him. His son, the apparent heir to the monarchy, is even worse.

Expect to be treated like a slab of meat. I've seen excellent employees marched out the door on Friday afternoon because the manager they worked for didn't like them. It was the worst environment I have ever experienced in a workplace. The office still has buzzers hanging in the halls to tell you when work and breaks start and stop. You will get a lecture if you aren't consistent in being at your desk as required - unless you are a smoker. It's OK for them to wander outside whenever they want to have a puff. If you, as a non-smoker, join them you will catch Hell for it.

Avoid this company like the plague. The smartest move I ever made in my career was to get out of EFCO.

Advice to Management

Considering the number of times attempts were made to steer the CEO into a kinder, gentler workplace when I was there, and the reaction to those attempts, I have none. You aren't going to listen anyway.

Other Employee Reviews for EFCO (Iowa)

"EFCO Needs Work"

Current Employee - General Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - General Employee in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Friendly co-workers. Good location for employees to commute. Facilities are OK.

Cons

Incompetent upper management. Benefits are mediocre. Average salaries. Low respect for employees. People are appointed to management positions based on length of time with the company and not actual qualifications. Managers don't "manage" employees, but force the company to change policies for everyone. Decisions are made solely on the fact that that is what the CEO wishes to do, regardless of how much business sense it actually makes. Logic is not an everyday common occurrence with managers. No stable business rules exist.

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees as well as respect their opinions.

2. "Management Intern in Monterrey"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at EFCO (Iowa) as an intern

Pros

Flexible schedule to accommodate for school load and work.
    Getting to know the biggest construction companies in the Monterrey area.

Cons

Not much learning unless you change areas.
    Making decisions takes a long time since the last call comes from the board in the US, which slowed things down in Mexico.

Advice to Management

Try to motivate interns with more challenging jobs, since most of them stay in the company.
    Replace the old system used to manage and store information from old projects.