EFI - Good experience, except for the pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EFI

"Good experience, except for the pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time

Pros

Smart, friendly people
Leader in digital print technology, as it is
Comfortable work environment (in Foster City)
- Note that this was in their Foster City location. I understand they are moving to the East Bay.

Cons

The Fiery business is slowly sinking as the general printing business shrinks, and it seems to be a cash cow. Other areas may be better (like large format VUTEK or the Applications management businesses).
Pay is below average in the industry. Bonuses are small. Raises are small. RSUs (if you get them) are small.
Extra work is generally expected to "get the job done". Weekends and late nights are not uncommon.

Advice to Management

The stock is above 30 finally. Look for a buyer.

Other Employee Reviews for EFI

"Sr. Program Manager in Fiery Business Unit"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Talented bunch of people
    - Great collaborative culture
    - Clear messages/communication from the senior executives

Cons

- A large group of the software development and testing talents are in Bangalore, India - too far away for the business hours, takes additional efforts in getting well coordinated.
    - Compensations - Less than the SF Bay Area average
    - Has allowed too many good talents to leave the company
    - Too much work for each individual (I felt like drinking from a fire hose), resulting in communication slugishness
    - Way too much importance placed on the company's bottom line (although I understand it's very important)
    - Because of some or all mentioned above, the majority of people are stressed
    - Unclear whether the digital printing industry has a bright future

Advice to Management

Perhaps, the Fiery product's price-to-cost ratio is getting smaller. Although the prices are getting more and more competitive, the development cost must be rising. The senior managements' messages are always focused on "produce more with less", advocating the "lean and mean attitude". It seems it has been pushed as far as possible. To keep selling the same products, you could not continue reducing the work force unless the product's architecture were changed - simply put, it costs a lot to develop Fierys. The core brain power resides in Foster City, not in Bangalore (I hope those in Bangalore do not take this personally), so moving more work to India should not be the answer. it has to be something else. Unfortunately, I do not have a specific advice I can give. Though, I want my former colleagues to succeed.

2. "Great people. Management and direction of company is a work in progress."

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really loved the people and my immediate managers. For most of my career there, my immediate managers trusted me and let me try on new things.

Cons

As company grew, the culture changed a lot. It became less about rewarding people for great work, more about money, and political. Training is scare if you aren't on the "chosen" list.

Advice to Management

Take more time to think through things versus looking at money. Never forget that your employees contribute greatly to your success, so it pays to treat them all well.