EFI - A good company to work for, depending on the dept. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EFI

"A good company to work for, depending on the dept."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Pros

EFI has a very nice campus with a view of the bay. The senior management seem competent and fairly approachable. They honestly don't like to have layoffs (though there have been) and they look for other ways to trim costs first. Most of the people are nice and intelligent. Compensation isn't bad. Many employees have been here for years and that says something good about EFI.

Cons

Some managers and directors are next to worthless. It's an OEM driven business which means that there is always tension between what the OEM wants (customization) and efforts to standardize. Not a very "green" place to work as lots of paper is wasted needlessly.

Advice to Management

It probably will sound very hippy-dippy, but the worker-bees in my department should be allowed to find and hire our manager and director. We would be much more effective, innovative, dynamic, and contented if we were given the power to find and hire our own departmental leaders.

Other Employee Reviews for EFI

"What a disaster"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Meredith, NH
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Meredith, NH

Pros

Free Coffee, close to home.

Cons

Before EFI bought Vutek the company could release new products quickly and efficiently. When it was bought by EFI things went downhill very fast. People were brought in great numbers who knew nothing about the technology. The only thing these people seemed to offer was more paperwork and more politics. The people who had the experience were silenced and left out to pasture. I have never worked in a place where management is so politically motivated and I hope I never will again. I believe EFI is a good example of why US companies fail.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they are not listening.

"EFI - great people, cool technology, poor management team, dated coding practices and standards."

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Foster City, CA

Pros

Excellent people, some of the best brains in color and imaging technology.
    Decent benefits.
    Flex time available in most departments.
    large start up!

Cons

Poor direction from executive management.
    Salaries are on lower side.
    Declining business.
    Poor vision / unimaginative management.

Advice to Management

Trim the high level fat. Executives need to set examples by cutting their own corporate expenses, take a pay cut, etc.