ELS Educational Services - Weigh it our for yourself | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ELS Educational Services

"Weigh it our for yourself"

Former Employee - Instructor
Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for ELS for two years as an instructor. It was my first job after graduate school and the teachers were all wonderful and always willing to share their experience with me. I will probably never have such a pool of high level ESL instructors to tap into. The students overall, are great. What gets sticky is that some of the students are accepted into the program and they do not have the academic capacity to make it in such an intensive language program. You can work yourself to death trying to get all of your students to pass your classes because it is easy to become very attached to their success AND you are evaluated by this. I saw some teachers pass students, not because they qualified but because it's easier to pass them than work with them or fail them. I would spend as much as three hours of my own time for every hour I taught so that the students learned all the material required within a month's time. I have never been part of such an intensive program and I don't feel it is fair to the student or to the teacher because the amount of material is so great. I did learn to become a great instructor because you either rise to the challenge, try and stay under the radar (and the rest of the staff will have to carry your load and not appreciate it) or you quit. I made up all of my own quizzes and worksheets and that took hours. I shared these with some of the other teachers but ELS will claim the material as theirs if you share it at a staff training. You don't get paid to share your work and I feel this is really unprofessional. Again, the people I got to work with and the students I had were the things that kept me there as long as I stayed.

Cons

The academic material is very good but the curriculum is unrealistic for the amount of hours of instruction. The workload is unfair if you want your lessons to cover all the material you are supposed to get through. I spent every afternoon and evening preparing for my classes. The paper chase is ridiculous and almost insulting considering how much time you already spend putting your lessons together. You have to fill out a mountain of paperwork. Additional work, such as creating staff presentations and training is not compensated and therefore one has little incentive to put personal time into organizing these. There seems to be a real disconnect between high level management and the centers' day-to-day operations. Staff do not seem to be encouraged to stay with the company, it seems to have a revolving door culture. Sessions are only one month log therefore, at least at my center, your classes and hours changed every month. It's hard enough to be refining classes, but when you are given new classes every month it can really lead to burnout. I taught for nine months before I ever repeated a class and since I was putting much of the material, quizzes and test together on my own time, it's hard not to get a little resentful as well as protective of all your work.

Advice to Management

Why can't sessions run longer than four weeks? The time frame is unrealistic for the amount of material the OECs state is being covered. These are false claims. Reward your excellent instructors and pay them to train others and share their material.

Other Employee Reviews for ELS Educational Services

"Wickedness in high places"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time

Pros

Good benefits, great students, decent co-workers

Cons

Very very unethical place: grade fixing, manipulation, outright cheating by administration. Totally unscrupulous. Administration is incompetent and spineless (and they know it). An astounding amount of unpaid labor has to go into executing each class. Very demanding but no compensation. Low, low, low pay for the time and effort. On top of that, it's actually stressful!

Advice to Management

Quit. Let more competent people run the place.

"Both the best and the worst job I ever had."

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent staff in the center and amazing students. Getting to know the students from all over the world gave me a human insight into many different cultures, totally separate from politics. I don't know where else I could have gotten to know people from so many countries. Also, the insurance benefits are excellent and relatively inexpensive.

Cons

Management is dictatorial and disinterested in recommendations or even feedback from the centers. Internal communications are poor, the pay is poor (barely liveable) and success and hard work are not acknowledged in any meaningful way.

Advice to Management

You should be doing all you can to SUPPORT the centers, not dictate to them. They make the money. Not you.