ELS Educational Services - Fast-paced and never boring | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ELS Educational Services

"Fast-paced and never boring"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Pocatello, ID
Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Pocatello, ID

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is an innovative and forward-thinking language center with a corporate structure. There is a lot of support to each center.

Cons

This company wants to constantly change their protocols and procedures without enough advance notice. The students and teachers end up confused.
This program is very expensive and intensive (30 hours a week) with mandated curriculum.

Advice to Management

The main office needs to give everyone more time to adapt to changes, and they need to test changes more thoroughly before requiring each center adopt them. Keep everyone informed better.

Other Employee Reviews for ELS Educational Services

"Cheap. Cheap. Cheap. and Exploitive."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Dallas, TX

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros are that you get to work with interesting foreign students, and you get paid every two weeks. If you are one of the handful of full-time employees, you get great benefits.

Cons

The cons are that these folks take educated professionals and treat them like day laborers. The center in Dallas required us to make all our own handouts and teaching tools, then covered us in paperwork. If you complained, the director and assistant director could do nothing to help you.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with the real resource you have at your disposal, great teachers, and don't demoralize them until they leave in disgust and write you up on this website. All these reports cannot be from disgruntled people. Some of us just want to warn others before they are exploited too. Oh and you could actually do some work.

"I hate my job"

Current Employee - Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at ELS Educational Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The students are wonderful and there is the ability to learn a lot from them and their culture. This is the only pro and honestly it is not worth the pay.

Cons

The management is unorganized and unprofessional. I find out what I am teaching 15 minutes before the first class of the session. I have no time to prepare and I am seriously unprepared and behind for the whole first week of the session. I am forced to put in more hours of preparation time than I actually teach and I am not compensated for this extra work. If I break it down, I am barely making minimum wage, which sickens me considering how much education I have. Management does not care and expects that you put in this effort. There is an incredible amount of arrogance and misogyny and competition among some teachers. However, there are teachers who don't care and do less than their share and everyone has to pick up the slack. There are no consequences for shitty performance and those that are capable end up being given extra responsibilities. Management doesn't care what is going on in your personal life and expects you to handle it. There are favorites who always get time off and then there are those who are too "valuable" to leave for a few weeks. There is the expectations that the students don't want to be here or that they don't want to work or even that they will cheat or are spoiled brats. The students feel this disrespect and in turn accuse the school of being prejudice. Regardless, I have been searching for another job where I am respected and compensated more for my talents. It's unfortunate that I am stuck here until I can find something else.

Advice to Management

clean house