ELS Educational Services - ELS in Oman was totally unprofessional, didn't pay teachers, didn't provide materials, etc. yet all students passed. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for ELS Educational Services

"ELS in Oman was totally unprofessional, didn't pay teachers, didn't provide materials, etc. yet all students passed."

Former Contractor - ESL Instructor in Nizwa (Oman)
Former Contractor - ESL Instructor in Nizwa (Oman)

I worked at ELS Educational Services as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

You never know what you are going to get with an ELS franchise.

Cons

Insurance coverage was a fraud, when I discovered and told others, ELS began a campaign against me to fire me illegally.

Advice to Management

Check the credentials of your teachers and administrators. ELS management in Oman was connected to fraud cases in South Africa. Some teachers hadn't even gone to college, and one could not even write a paragraph in English.

Other Employee Reviews for ELS Educational Services

1. "The most ETHICAL company in its industry."

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Chennai (India)

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ELS Language Centers are representatives of over 700 US Institutions and are building further "non-agent" model relationships with the best of the institutions in Canada and Australia. Students who qualify the language requirements at ELS Language Centres with ELS Language Courses are exempt from TOEFL for now in the USA.

Cons

As this a business where we out the STUDENTS first we cannot be irresponsible

Advice to Management

The upper management are very clear and particular in setting the goals correct and they are sure that, unlike many others in the field who are no competition to us, appointing foreign graduates is the best solution to help us help STUDENTS better.

"Very stressful and I will never work for ELS again!"

Pros

The students are pleasant and most want to learn and appreciate the hard work you put into the lessons.

Cons

There is an insane amount of pressure put on new teachers.
    I was misled about my pay and never officially informed to why I was paid less. I had to inquire myself and was given a technical excuse.
    It took 2 and half months for me to get my last paycheck only after I called HQ's myself 3 times!
    When I inquired about insurance and full-time status it took 2 weeks to even get an answer.

The management, was very unprofessional and used a climate of fear and intimidation and favoritism as standard operating procedure. Zero integrity, resulting in total loss of respect. The staff is overworked and not respected or appreciated. Constantly hiring and firing teachers and literally no training! I had to train myself! For management its all about the ego and power trips. Overall one of the most unprofessional places I have ever experienced. Leaving the position was liberating.

Advice to Management

Get some integrity. Misleading employees about everything from pay to job security to constantly threatening them with their jobs does not produce happy teachers. Pleading ignorance and management by "emperor with no clothes" doesn't help either at the top. If this is a pattern and evident at schools across the nation, as I suspect, people are going to vote with their feet.