EMC - Principal Software Engineer | Glassdoor

"Principal Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good benefits and work/life balance. Management recognises your work and rewards your hard work.

Cons

None, I did't see anything as such upto now.

Other Employee Reviews for EMC

"Pure scum."

Former Employee - Senior Architect, Consulting in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Architect, Consulting in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You have a job, period.

Cons

EMC is the worst company I've ever worked for - and I worked there for 10 years. It's very hard to get in the door, and though they pay well up front, you can forget about a raise. I went 4 years without one, and the other years were at 2%, even though I was a "rock star" making the company plenty of money in Consulting. I was setup for failure and let go because I couldn't meet their unrealistic certification goals, while also billing at 130%. The reason being very clear that I could be replaced by two foreign H1-B workers for the same amount they were paying me. And if you're considering working for EMC on an H1-B, realize that you will NEVER get a raise and they will bring you on as cheap as they can, and work you to death. I've seen it; my friends are still trapped there on their H1-B's.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and GENEROSITY. Perhaps as generous as the execs are to THEMSELVES. No Xmas parties, yet the execs get millions in stock and bonuses? It's classic raping of this country by the corporations. EMC squeezes the life out of their people, in an effort to increase the bottom line so the stock they give themselves, or their boards grant them, (and they grant other execs while sitting on THEIR boards - that's how it works), goes up and they make millions. Meanwhile, benefits are cut, there are hiring freezes, and everyone is expected to work twice as hard for no raises. Stay away from this parasitic company!

2. "EMC SMS is talent poor"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Detroit, MI

I worked at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is not much other than demand for storage and VMWare should be good

Cons

EMC has technologies that any tech company with cash can come up with. Google,Microsoft,Amazon,IBM and Cisco will be lead the big data revolution. EMC will always be a second tier company as support and SMS lacks a good talent pool

Advice to Management

SMS management needs a shakeup, hiring people who were fired form EDS will not get the job done.