EMC - EMC + Evil Mean Cruel | Glassdoor

"EMC + Evil Mean Cruel"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Milford, MA
Former Employee - Human Resources in Milford, MA

Pros

Overall compensation and benefits are pretty good

Cons

Verbal abuse by management coupled with a lack of appreciation or respect

Advice to Management

Basic management training would go a long ways

Other Employee Reviews for EMC

"I worked like a slave with no support or appreciation"

Former Employee - PMO - Director of Professional Services Program Management in White Plains, NY

Pros

EMC is a very large company with well-known products and services, and brand recognition. My job at EMC provided me experience of managing many very large, complex IT projects across many different business units and functional areas (i.e. across finance, marketing, sales, legal, and engineering at many different business units). I was able to obtain more experience working with storage, network management, and virtualization technologies.

Cons

I was practically working round the clock, between 50 and 80 hours a week and an average of around 70 or 75 hours every week. I was working 6 and usually 7 days a week. I was on back-to-back phone calls managing projects and holding project status meetings. My phone calls were continuous from about 7:30 am until 8:00 pm and then I was working until 11:00 pm or midnight completing reports and meetiing minutes, organizing my teams, following up on open issues, checking status of the projects of my other project managers, and making sure everyone was reporting their hours. My team supported 3000 projects per year and I personally managed an average of 65 projects at a time. The work environment between team managers was very combatative and everyone felt on edge all of the time. The management team did not make team members feel appreciated for their hard work and did not provide recommended methods of improving but only provided very negative feedback. My personal life and physical health suffered while I worked there due to the high amount of work environment stress.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training managers on how to treat their employees fairly and do not reward managers for keeping their jobs by degrading their team members. There should be a rating system which enables employees to speak annonymously and freely to rate their manager. If their manager does not show signs of improvement, they should be reprimanded and penalized until they show improvement. Treating employees in such a negative manner will cause the committed and high performers to leave the company, and can ultimately affect client relationships as employees who are under fire can not perform well or deliver high quality work when they are continually on the defense against verbal and mental attack.

2. "Good compensation. Competitive enviornment."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

Pros

Competitive salary, excellent benefits. Opportunities for leadership are often presented.

Cons

Company is driven by Sales organization. Schedules are often highly aggressive.

Advice to Management

Consider long terms plans when driving agressive short term schedules.