EMC - Amazing company with abundant learning opportunities and great technology | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EMC

"Amazing company with abundant learning opportunities and great technology"

Current Employee - Associate Systems Engineer (Sales Engineer) in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Associate Systems Engineer (Sales Engineer) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EMC gave me the opportunity to get into a Presales Systems Engineer role without any previous experience through their GSAP program. I had four years of IT experience in the Air Force and a recruiter contacted me with a position opening and I haven't regretted one minute of it. EMC helped me gain the skills I needed, learn the technology and slowly introduced me into the role. I am now a full blown SE.

In a nutshell, the company has top notch technology, great people, good pay, good benefits, lots of training opps, good management (recently) and a VERY solid strategic vision.

Cons

As I support the sales team, it can be long hours, some weekend work (some of this is my fault). EMC support can be a nightmare to work with and we have lost some future deals because of our inability to deliver to the customer.

Advice to Management

Improve the post-sales engagement after the presales team closes the deal. We have one of the best sales teams in the business, but get beat up on the tail end when support doesn't hit their mark.

Other Employee Reviews for EMC

"Good, but not great. Interesting work, but little career growth. Difficult times are coming as EMC reinvents itself."

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting products and services to work on. The atmosphere and culture is good in my organization (it varies between orgs and departments). Lots of training options, both product and technology training, and how its delivered (in person classroom, video online, DVD based). Big focus on employee volunteering that mostly gets a yawn from the employees.

Cons

No career growth towards promotions, except for those in the senior management level. EMC is top heavy with 'senior managers' and 'directors'. In my three years, I've seen only management get promoted, primarily senior manager to director, but very few individual contributor promotions. I don't want to leave the company, but I see now way to move ahead by staying at EMC.

Advice to Management

EMC is at a critical juncture, trying to transform from a hardware company to a cloud company. I think there is going to be a big judgement day coming in the next few years where there are huge layoffs of hardware engineers and lab techs, as the company divests from building physical things to having a majority focus on virtual products and services.

2. "Architect"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible working hours , good sized cubical, lots of training opportunities, good salary.
    enough parking space. cheap food, good facilities like GYM, Yoga classes etc.
    Good colleagues.

Cons

lot of emphasis on hierarchy/rules, you have to submit ticket for almost every thing.

Advice to Management

open up things and encourage creativity.