EMCORE - Poorly managed | Glassdoor

"Poorly managed"

I have been working at EMCORE full-time

Pros

If you're a slacker, you're safe: Slow to get rid of dead weight.
You can work 9 to 5 here.

Cons

Poorly focused management team
Little employee empowerment, everything needs approvals.
Stifling bureaucracy - You need to fill out a form or a ticket for even menial tasks.
Cash strapped organization - stingy to no raises
Antiquated IT (still using Win XP32) - Snails pace of implementation of new technology.
Road blocks instead of solutions offered as default response to change requests.

Advice to Management

Focus on making decisions faster, focus on reducing the stifling overhead and time consuming bureaucracy, consider streamlining the operations by reducing administrative busy work, hold people accountable, don't allow for so much finger pointing when things don't get done. Fire foot draggers and poor performers (at all levels). Focus on results, not just talk.

Other Employee Reviews for EMCORE

"Even when we thought we were doing good, we weren't doing good."

I worked at EMCORE full-time

Pros

I knew quite a few incredibly intelligent, experienced, incredibly hard-working folks while I was there.

Very good experience with high-tech product.

Cons

Twice in poor economic times paycuts were instituted for 3+ months. Only one of those times was any effort made to re-pay the employees for what basically amounted to a loan.

We always seemed incredibly understaffed BEFORE the most recent layoffs.

Management violates many of the common-sense rules of economics, like not upcharging for more advanced forms of technology, not reinvesting any money back into the company in the form of internal R&D and by not generally treating its employees with a high level of respect.

Advice to Management

Try focusing on your people and profit and long-term health of the company. You focus too much on revenue, which is foolish. Raise the prices of your products until you lose a bid or two so that you better understand the market space.

2. "I can't complain."

Pros

I still have a job even during the down turn. Instresting work, challenge project, nice team member, reasonable commute distance, nice boss.

Cons

Just like many other companies, there are many products we need to develop but not enough resource and time. I wish the benefit would be better.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. It would be great if more frequency down communication so that everyone has better understand about the company's mission.