EY - Great place to start your career, you'll learn a lot...and work a lot too. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EY

"Great place to start your career, you'll learn a lot...and work a lot too."

Current Employee - Technology and Security Risk Services Staff in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Experience, working with very intelligent and motivated individuals

Cons

The hours, and the fact that it's hard to stand out amongst such strong peers.

Advice to Management

Be as honest as possible with us and work on implenting the people first culture. We work very hard for you and don't get paid very much compared to other IT jobs, and our 401k plan is pretty horrible. I would like to feel more appreciated and valued. I don't feel like people first is totally honest.

Other Employee Reviews for EY

1. "Ernst & Young is a challenging and dynamic place to work."

Current Employee - Advisory Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Staff in New York, NY

Pros

The best reasons to work the EY are the people and the clients. Because you work for such a large firm, you have a chance to work on some of the biggest and best clients in the industry. The other great part about the firm is the people. The people at EY are some of the most dynamic and interesting individuals that I have worked with. In a lot of cases, individuals will have a wide array of backgrounds that bring different perspectives to the workplace. In a lot of firms such as EY, employees with just have accounting or finance degrees. I have noticed that the dynamic nature of EY is fed by the people with many different backgrounds.

Cons

The one major downside to working at EY is that due to the teaming aspect of the culture, it can be hard to stand out if you are at a lower level. I think that teaming is extremely important in the advisory field, however there are instances where it can hold back progress career-wise. Also, there is a lack of streamlined and relevant communications from leadership. Due to the fact that EY is a private partnership, there is little firm-wide discussion about financial results or general changes to leadership mentality. I think that this will be changing as the calls for transparency get louder and louder.

Advice to Management

I would tell senior management that they need to review the way the promotions are done within the firm.

"WARNING: When times get tough E&Y always lays off those with long tenure."

Former Employee - IT Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

E&Y is a firm of professionals and virtually every single co-worker in my more than 10 years was very professional. If you are interested in working from a home office the firm has no problem and it does not hurt you professionally.

Cons

The partners demand a certain bottom line income and the firm will no hesitate to lay off their most valuable resource (people) in order to protect the bottom line. In January the firm laid off 1,000+ employees, most of whom were very tenured in their time dedicated to E&Y. I know of four laid off then who had 8, 13, 14, and 21 years with the firm. If you are in client service there is very little work/life balance... it's all work. One week after the above lay offs Fortune reported E&Y as being a company that was still hiring: 2,400 full time staff plus 2,700 interns.

Advice to Management

You'd better hire as many college graduates now as possible because as soon as the economy picks up the rank and file from E&Y will bail and deservedly so. In a few years there will be very few experienced managers/senior managers because they will have all left the firm. Advice: people come first, especially those who have been loyal to the firm. Treat them accordingly.