EY - Stay away! | Glassdoor

"Stay away!"

Former Employee - Audit Staff in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Audit Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros. People are backstabbing and manipulative, and the hours are horrific.

Cons

Everything about it. If you go to a job here, kiss your personal life goodbye. Managers are horrendously inept, and are quick to throw anybody under the bus when they screw up. If a Senior or Manager feels threatened by you, expect a crappy review because they will do anything to impede your advancement.

Busy season averaged 85 hours a week, and I was disciplined for leaving at 2 AM, which apparently was "too early" to go home. I was also disciplined for taking a lunch break. I'm glad I worked here for the sole reason of knowing what kind of environment I don't want to work in.

Advice to Management

Change the review process. Allow staff to review their superiors.

Other Employee Reviews for EY

"Can be a solid place to work, but...."

Current Employee - Senior IV in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior IV in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company preaches flexibility, and the group I work within supports it. BUT, the company tends to get more out of the situation. Someone working from home will typically do more and spend more time "plugged in" Average salary, at best.

Cons

-Support for continuing your education is down right horrible. If you work in tax and are somehow, some way, approved to get your MBA...they will only pay for the Tax courses. Pretty ridiculous and will likely be my reason for eventually leaving the company, which is a shame.
    -Cost of medical benefits are a bit steep, for pretty good coverage.
    -They match your 401k in one lump sum at the end of the year, collecting the interest on it up until then. Not a very good practice to show your employees that you care.
    -There is limited to no respect for personal space. Crammed like rats into tiny cubes that keep getting smaller and smaller. With some of them, it's impossible to hang your coat. Some sections of cube banks are ridiculously loud, simply due to there being too many people stuffed into a small area. This is a very big negative for me. If you have a family, good luck putting up any pictures to remember what they look like while you are trapped in busy season.
    -Compensation is OK. Last year it seems as though they bumped many people up to get up to the industry average but it's still lacking. It is preached that E&Y employees are over achievers, if that was true they would be paid as so. Also, no bonus of any sort. Putting in almost 600 hours of overtime, most of which was charged to a client, be nice to see some of that $ that's really just lining the pockets of the partners.

Advice to Management

-Have a less than ridiculous tuition reimbursement program.
    -Acquire more floors in the times square building and at the very least, stop cramming seniors into those horribly tiny cubes.
    -A bonus program based on utilization percentages. $100-$200 gift cards are cute, highly committed hard workers deserve more.

"Laughably bad software department"

Former Intern - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at EY as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is awesome and you have plenty of opportunities for promotion. Management doesn't really nag you or stand over your shoulder.

Cons

Software department is clueless and the management is unprofessional and pretty shady.
    They will fire you on the spot if you give them a two weeks notice and then stiff you on your last paycheck. They can't keep software developers because the working environment is focused on business majors and accountants, not computer programmers. Not very many promotions in the software field, you will have to be a business person to get anywhere.

Advice to Management

Do your jobs