EY - One of the best accounting firms in the world. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EY

"One of the best accounting firms in the world."

Former Employee - Tax Staff in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Tax Staff in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great place to start a career. Culture of the company is great with even greater people to work along side with. People there are very helpful and partners always have an open door policy. Plus, they are smart as hell. Definitely a resume builder if employed here for a few years. Variety of fields to be involved in so you can learn something new everyday.
Great firm to use to open doors.

Cons

Long hours, but it is worth while and meaningful work. Its accounting, so could be boring for some people. Starting salary is on the lower end, as compared to other firms.

Advice to Management

Provide more training.

Other Employee Reviews for EY

"EY truly is one of the best places to launch your career if you're driven and passionate."

Current Employee - Advisory Senior in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior in San Francisco, CA

Pros

EY gives their employees an amazing diversity of experiences in which to work, as well as uncommon exposure to our clients' executive management at an early age. As an intern while still a junior in college, I interned with EY and met with several CFO's and CEO's under the direction of my senior management. After a few years in working with EY in one city, I asked to move to another office and was able to with less than 3 months notice. I even received a large raise as a result in the difference in average cost of living. EY has continued to challenge me by exposing me to a number of new settings every year and keep me in touch with the upper leadership of our clients.

Cons

In the advisory practice, seniors and up are expected to drive their own careers and work hard for their own defined goals. This requires a lot of self-determination, drive and ambition which can be frustration for those looking for more guidance or a 9-5 type job. In addition, managing a book of clients just 2-3 years out of school can be overwhelming to some, juggling competing priorities and demands from several managers. Finally, excessive travel can quickly tire those who aren't proactive in managing their schedule and finding work that fits their traveling preferences.

Advice to Management

Provide more mentoring and more constant feedback to your employees. Take time to get to know your employees, not just their work agendas but their hobbies, activities and interests. Spend a couple dollars on a happy hour or more creative office event once in a while to make the office feel more like a family. Don't be so adverse to risk - creativity can sometimes be crushed by those who are afraid to change or don't want to be the one's held accountible if a new idea doesn't pan out the first time.

2. "Ernst & Young inclusiveness sucks!"

Current Employee - Supervising Senior in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Supervising Senior in San Jose, CA

Pros

Training and the variety of knowledge you can access

Cons

there is no work life balance

Advice to Management

They should not base their force reduction in force based on the immigration status of their employees