EY - Great Company | Glassdoor

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Marketing Communications in Chicago, IL

I have been working at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Community of professionals, collegial and nice

Cons

Very hierarchical organization, serious corporate atmosphere

Advice to Management

All seems well

Other Employee Reviews for EY

"Great place to start career, but may not be long-term best fit"

Current Employee - Tax Staff in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Staff in Houston, TX

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) The diversified staffing group. With the DSG, there are two things that happen, that are pretty cool.
    a) You yourself know that if you don't like a particular job, you aren't necessarily stuck doing it.
    b) Other people for the most part are interested in helping you find a group you like.

2) Great culture for coaching, learning, training, and teaming.

3) For a Big 4 firm, many people are willing to work with you on flexibility.

Cons

1) Like all the Big 4 firms, the hours become rough at times. Even with work-life balance, there is a LOT of work.

2) With the diversified staffing group, staff and seniors can experience rolling out of one busy season directly into another with no breaks.

3) While compensation is a good solid start compared to most majors, it's not the top in absolute terms, and when you start looking on a per hour basis, it's not very competitive. This is mostly a Big 4 issue, though.

Advice to Management

Find a way to spread the workload better. There are some people who are consistently over 100% utilized (and maybe part of the reason is that they are the most desirable employees), but over-utilization burns people out, and there are other employees to smooth out the opportunities for.

"Solid programs and professional experiences, but the people are quite arrogant."

Current Employee - Auditor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Auditor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great academic training programs
    CPA study course provided
    Direct involvement with a variety of companies

Cons

The people tend to be very arrogant and non-inclusive
    The employee evaluation system is flawed and is quite subjective (another people issue)

Advice to Management

Ernst and Young's core values revolve around quality and our people. I feel like the people value is just a description on a paper. Every day I feel like the work environment is emotionally hostile. Employees form groups and are very rude and critical of others. They have complete disregard for diversity and in fact belittle people who are of different cultures, ages (out of the norm), religions, and sexes.

I did not bring this view up for a long time because I thought I was experiencing an isolated case. However, I noticed other employees who seemed dissatisfied and who also were becoming the brunt of uncalled for ridicule and passive aggressive emotional bullying. No kidding, the environment really feels like a Jr. high school hallway full of exclusive groups who bully and look down on others. I have approached other employees who appeared to be under the same harassment as I and opened up conversation regarding the matter. Not only were my points validated, they were expounded upon.

People are dissatisfied because of elite-clique groups that bully valuable employees. An interesting point is that the non-inclusive individuals who demean others even include individuals whom I would have expected much more from given their years of experience and supposed maturity with the firm. Many people leave the firm because of this and mask their reasoning with work demands, family matters, and not really enjoying accounting. Nevertheless, the motivating factor is much more serious and must be curtailed. As long as a this type of pecking order exists within the firm full potential cannot be attained.

My suggestion to address the issue is to identify the root causes of why groups are forming and why they feel the need to push others down in attempt to elevate themselves. Could it be a lack of leadership? Is it because the review system can be subjective and friends want to help friends while using outsiders as the scapegoats? Does the firm inadvertently promote an environment which communicates a message that if your peers succeed that means you have failed? These are questions that should be answered because the firm is suffering internally and will continue to do so until strong medication is used as a remedy.

Please don't delay.