EY - Solid learning environment | Glassdoor

"Solid learning environment"

Current Employee - Assurance Staff in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Assurance Staff in McLean, VA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great access to companies and their higher executives. Opportunities to own your own work early on. People genuinely seem to care about each other and look out for each other.

Cons

Huge company, easy to feel like one of many replaceable cogs in a very big wheel. Flexibility is possible but not always easy to obtain. 401k and vacation policies are not particularly generous. Commute times can be frustrating if you end up on clients not near your home, which is something you have limited control over.

Other Employee Reviews for EY

1. "Flexibility - Work/Life Balance at EY"

Current Employee - Supervising Associate in Secaucus, NJ
    Current Employee - Supervising Associate in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Ernst & Young poromotes flexibility and a work/life balance. EY has won numerous awards for diversity and inclusiveness throughout the years.

Cons

more global jobs and work place of the future offices

"I was an Associate Director in the Global IT department."

Former Employee - Associate Director in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at EY full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I spent 22 years at E&Y and for the most part it was a great experience. Benefits are excellent. I was fairly compensated and advanced throughout my career based my own merit and accomplishments. There is a defined benefit retirement plan, (which is getting very rare in private business) plus 401(k) with match that are very valuable and the basis of a comfortable retirement that I now enjoy. E&Y had very flexible work arrangements, good vacation policies (3 weeks to start), excellent equal opportunities for women, LGBT and all people. I spend many happy and productive years there and am grateful for the experience and proud of my own success and achievements there.

Cons

Business is business. It is a grave mistake to assume that any large business in any difficult financial environment is concerned about the individual employee, but there still may be policies that are beneficial to all employees and that was very true for E&Y. Financial hard times bring swift cost cutting and reductions in staff. Out large global IT department was significantly reduced in the recession in 2009 and many people were laid off, including very senior people, Directors, Associate Directors, many long term employees and older workers, several categories that I fit into and I was also laid off after 20+ years at over 60 years old with very slim prospects for future employment. That, however, was not specific to E&Y. I am realistic about it and because of their good retirement benefits and my own planning for retirement, I was able to truly retire, which for younger people with young families was not the cast. My advice to everyone: be serious and SAVE FOR RETIREMENT!

Advice to Management

The core business of E&Y is strong and I was not directly involved in it, but supported it. I cannot comment on that. The back office world of IT, benefits, retirement, HR, finance was always susceptible to fluctuation in the larger economy, that in some cases, caused reductions that did not turn out to be very beneficial to the firm in either the short or long term. I recommend taking a long view of the value and contributions and working chemistry of any department before cutting it arbitrarily to reduce current cost.