EY - Good place to work for smart people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EY

"Good place to work for smart people"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are smart and know your stuff this can be a good firm to work for. I have been here for 2 years and am quiet happy I made the switch. I had to prove myself which took a year but after that I have selected my own projects to work on based on my interests. Work life balance is also pretty good. Lots of exposure to upper management in financial industry if you are on real advisory projects.

Cons

There are a lot of folks who have no knowledge and are called SMEs. You need to know how to manage them when they are working with you on a project.

Advice to Management

Improve compensation structure. Give better comp/bonus to high performaners.

Other Employee Reviews for EY

1. "Great people, great learning experiences, not a lot of work life balance"

Current Employee - Assurance Senior in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assurance Senior in Seattle, WA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will develop a great skillset for managing projects, developing staff, and adapting to new situations.

Cons

work life balance is a bust, pay is low for your first several years (just like other Big 4), increased industry standards are making life miserable for all audit professionals.

Advice to Management

put more emphasis on employee retention instead of filling the gaps in staffing with random people that are not qualified

"Terrible experience, Partners incompetent"

Former Employee - INV Banking in New York, NY
    Former Employee - INV Banking in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EY generates a strong brand within financial services that can be leveraged for other, better pursuits. Also the firm does provide good benefits (at the Manager+ levels)

Cons

Working at EY was pretty much a waste of time. To be clear, I worked in the Capital Advisory group at EY (broker/dealer). In sum, the Partners within the Practice basically could not sell work, many of which focused more on their golf skills on the course than teeing up deals to sell for the Associates. Also, the associates mix in technical skill sets varied, indicating that EY does not rigorously weed out bad talent. The biggest problem with the firm is senior management, where the competent/incompetent Partners stand at a ratio of 10/90. The firm, at least my group, further was very non-collegial and there was a lot of backstabbing/throwing colleagues under the bus just to impress the Partners; far more brown nosing than true competence. Glad I left!

Advice to Management

Fire Partners who do not bring in deals/generate revenue for the firm, simple as that. You are wasting time subsidizing their salaries and total comp with the real Partners who can sell. Implement a more collaborative working environment by bringing in more outside talent than jus home growing most of your partners.