EY - Great place to work and start a career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EY

"Great place to work and start a career."

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

Learning opportunities and people are great.

Cons

Easy to get burnt out with the long hours and loads of travel.

Advice to Management

Management is good but maybe find a way to offer more bonuses to keep people around or make them feel like their long hours are appreciated.

Other Employee Reviews for EY

"Good company (I guess), but not for me"

Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Auditor in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Lot of opportunities within the firm to work in different practices, on different clients and with/for different people. I didn't enjoy my work, but I did enjoy the people I worked with.

Cons

The culture is so focused on billable hours. Employees take a real sense of pride in how much they work. I'm more concerned with outcome than effort, so this always rubbed me the wrong way. Working late is fine, but working late for the sake of working late was not for me.

Advice to Management

Find a value-added way to bill clients and let that be your focus instead of utilization.

2. "Good Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor

Pros

1. Interaction with senior client personnel, up to the CFO level in your first year of work.
    2. Structured work (a plus for those who prefer that to more creative assignments).
    3. Challenging tasks, especially in the beginning.
    4. E&Y strives for inclusiveness and diversity.

Cons

1. The learning ends quickly. You will know everything you can learn after the first two years. After that, it's better to get out early if you don't want to stay in accounting/auditing forever.
    2. Same downsides as other auditing jobs - busy seasons are tough, and so are interim procedures (October - December); the clients hate you for obvious reasons; the management is overly optimistic about how quickly you can finish tasks.
    3. Too much work other than actual audit procedures, such as filling out checklists and summaries, writing required memorandums, writing reviews, etc.

Advice to Management

The leadership of E&Y should make itself more accessible. Although E&Y has very many partners, they make their time scarce. Also, E&Y HR should be more truthful with applicants about the fact that the personnel is kept very busy with work year-round and not just during the busy season.