EY - Things that look great outside arent really great inside | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EY

"Things that look great outside arent really great inside"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

May be just the brand name and nothing much of a benefit other than working for this firm

Cons

You will not be deployed on projects you were hired for
You will not develop any expertise in any specific space
The whole advisory is a joke and I dont see this going anywhere
They care less about the people, infact they hardly care about people
Staffing is the wierdest and funniest process of all
I would strongly suggest for college grads who are looking to start their career in consulting please stay away from EY advisory
Oh wait, compensation and salary raise is 1/100000th of what other comparative firms offer

Advice to Management

People are your asset and treasure them. Hire based on your need and treat everyone with professionalism and respect. Very very poor leadership skills from top to bottom.

Other Employee Reviews for EY

1. "Awesome place to work - if you know what you're getting into."

Current Employee - Manager, Advisory Services
    Current Employee - Manager, Advisory Services

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, hard working people. Lots of variety and a lot of different directions to take your career. The caveat is that you have to be smart and hard working as well; some people definitely can't keep up and there is no place for them; the get "counseled out".

There is enough demand to hold on to talent that you generally get asked what you want to work on, vs. being told and getting stuck on crappy clients. The obvious exception is that if you've demonstrated a lack of talent; prior to being counseled out, you generally get stuck on terrible engagements because nobody wants to work with you (because their 60 hr weeks turn into 80 hr weeks, for having to pick up your slack).

Cons

Technology is fragmented, and sucks quite frankly. It's (slowly) getting better, e.g. I'm seeing more web based tools instead of crappy macro infested spreadsheets.

Comp is lower than other Big4, and generally lower than corporate exit ops. Work/life usually sucks, despite the cheery words, although leadership seems to genuinely care and make an effort to alleviate that stress. I see my fair share of spot bonuses, steak dinners, and team outings.

In order to earn higher than average ratings, you can't just excel at your work - you can earn 4s / 5s on your client work, and still earn a 3 rating if you don't participate in recruiting events, don't make sales, etc.

Advice to Management

Pay more - it should be no surprise that you're hemorrhaging people. I know the business model is adapted to a fairly high rate, but I'm quite certain it's far above average at the moment.

2. "Competitve collegues"

Pros

You always work with smart people who push you above your limit.

Cons

You have to stay very competitive to stay in the firm which requires a lot of overtime.