KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great perks and pay, but not a tech company

Aug 17, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is unreal Coworkers Work Events / Happy Hours PTO and Holidays Would recommend

Cons

Not a company to grow as a developer

Be the first to find this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Intern

Great company to intern at

Sep 2, 2022 - LAUNCH Intern in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

They offer competitive pay for college student. Plan cool events, office is brand new, and everyone is so kind and welcoming. You can always ask questions and learn so much

Cons

Huge corporation so you may not interact much with other interns

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Manager in assurance

Feb 21, 2018 - Assurance Manager in San Jose, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. You will have a very hard time not falling in love with every single person you meet there. 2. Seriously, you will meet your soul mate(s) there. 3. Prestigious and looks great on the resume. 4. Your brain will grow a thousand times more powerful. 5. Forces you to conquer your fear of public speaking. 6. Fun team bonding and lifelong friends. 7. Stepping stone to high paying jobs. 8. Helps you work on perfecting your charm. You will learn from the most charming people how to really get people to like you. 9. HR really cares. 10. Big support network (IT, creative services, etc.). 11. Teaches you to be calm and in control.

Cons

OK, I'm going to be discussing all the taboo things, and there are a lot of them. In spite of these cons, I still admit it's worth a five star rating. 1. High performers are "designated" (you have very little control over your rating) by the partner group (can be a pro if you get selected. Seriously, I have worked with some of the supposed "fives" and they are not any different than my threes and fours. 2. Quality is extremely low. Sometimes I felt like I was working at McDonalds and not a professional services firm. The emphasis is on getting through work as fast as possible and expectations for quality are not realistic. 3. EY has a very hard time firing bad employees. If you get stuck with one it can be a nightmare. 4. EY has a heavy emphasis on wasting time. For example, there are lots and lots of checklists which have no value that you have to fill out. Also, they wasted money and time on creating "Canvas" which is literally slower and more awkward than the previous workspace tool, GAMX. There is a heavy emphasis on "reinventing the wheel" and fixing problems that aren't broken with even worse solutions. Instead of wasting money on useless tools, that money could have been spent on your employees in the form of compensation. Like I said, EY is really focused on attempting to look as though value is being created when in fact it is not. 5. Lots of meetings. Appearances are very important. 6. Employees on global 360 accounts get better treatment. 7. Some employees (executives mostly) tend to overemphasize how important this work is. Let's face it, if it was really glorious work then we would have action figures. 8. Looks are very important. Seriously, if you are a girl, you will get promoted based on how hot you are (the quality of your work is largely unimportant). If you are a guy, you are treated a little better but there is still a sexist undercurrent in the environment. This is advice you won't get from HR obviously, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. 8. You will be forced to eat hours. 9. Your ethical compass will start to get weaker. 10. You will get a little cynical. 11. Lots of driving and travel. 12. "Family men" and married couples with children are more likely to be promoted. If you want to be a partner, you have to be married (few exceptions). 13. You will work on vacations. 14. Loss of relationships with family and friends. 15. Some backstabbing and credit-stealing (but not very common). 16. Comp is below market but that's to be expected. 17. Employee retention is not something management is interested in. This makes you replaceable and expendable (yes even as a manager, unless you have been "designated" as a high performer by the partner group).

Continue reading
    829 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about EY.

EY Careers

Cover image for EY

We bring extraordinary people, like you, together to build a better working world. We’re unicorn makers and bot builders. Change agents...More

• What you can do

EY photo of: Return to office celebration
EY photo of: Return to office celebration
EY photo of: Pink Shirt Day 2022
EY photo of: Networks Week
EY photo of: EY "selfie" photos at our annual Emerging Leaders Summit!
EY photo of: EY is really made of its people!
EY photo of: EY London