Earth Fare - Just a Job, Not a Career | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Earth Fare

"Just a Job, Not a Career"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC
Current Employee - Department Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Earth Fare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on food
Nice peers to work with
Somewhat decent benefits

Cons

MASSIVE Turnover, Non-competitive low pay,
Yearly raise capped at three percent max even if you were a perfect employee
New employees getting paid as much or more than seasoned employees due to rigid pay structure

Advice to Management

Your employees are you greatest resource. Try to remember that instead of using them as a way to cut cost.

Other Employee Reviews for Earth Fare

"bookkeeper"

Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Bookkeeper in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Earth Fare part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

food discount was a great perk

Cons

horrible compensation for hard work

Advice to Management

care for employees and listen to them

"This review could go both ways"

Former Employee - Cashier in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Cashier in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Earth Fare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the co-workers were great (other than the occasional dud, which we did have).

Customers could either they can be really nice or they can really ruin your day. A lot of them are very fascinating though, I guess the idea of a "healthy supermarket" in America attracts a lot of foreigners, really neat sorts of people.

20% discount on all groceries (except alcohol)/50% on the hot bar is nice. It still can be expensive though.

The EF motto is good, no high fructose corn syrup etc, your mindset will start to change once you work there. You start avoiding bad foods and look for healthier ones. When I worked at EF, I noticed how much fast food I cut down on. Just a random perk.

Cons

The other half of customers are rude old people, or just rude people in general. You have to learn to just deal with them. If they're rude to you, just keep smiling and be friendly and then make them feel bad afterwards for being mean to such a friendly employee.

The shifts are extremely long, not very flexible, it's hard to get other people to cover your shifts because of "budget cuts" by firing people. If you're closing and you're on the front end, don't expect to be leaving at 9 or 9:30, it's more like 9:45 til 10.

Pretty much the entire store also assumes that the cashiers will do the "dirty work" for them. When I left EF, they were still adding on tasks for all of the cashiers to do. How are the cashiers even supposed to do their own jobs when there are a million other things that they require them to do? It was just ridiculous.

Lots of favoritism went on as well, the company guaranteed further advancement in positions but probably won't actually promote you. If they do, it's usually for the wrong reason - i.e. the manager feels bad for you because you have a kid/wife, etc.

If you get a raise, it's usually something not even worth it - usually a bare extra 50 cents an hour.

After the first few days of work at Earth Fare, I already started to dread it. It's all I would think about and stress over. It's just an extreme burden to be an employee there. If you're looking between a job at Earth Fare and another job, please choose the other job! It'd be for your own good.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. When I worked at Earth Fare, the management really really under-appreciated the employees. Sometimes I felt like I was useless, there was never any praise or motivation.

Also, the managers should consider doing "contests" for departments, it would brighten the employees' days. And just stop with the favoritism. I'm just glad I left EF.