EarthLink - Company with promise, managed in confusion and headed in the wrong direction | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EarthLink

"Company with promise, managed in confusion and headed in the wrong direction"

Current Employee - Account Manager, Premier in Rochester, NY
Current Employee - Account Manager, Premier in Rochester, NY

Pros

competitive pay
flexible schedule
decent insurance (but costly)
Great Co-workers
Financially stable* (but for how long)
small 401k match
Robust product set

Cons

Horrible Managment at mid and senior level
out of touch with reality on current day sales models
Bad reputation from legacy companies
Horrible employee morale
training is there but non-existent and is all webex based
about 30 operating systems right now
no tuition reimbursement although it was supposed to
unstable network with constant repair issues
Departments are lined against each other and very little cohesiveness in team problem solving

Advice to Management

Stop trying to pretend we are an overnight IT solutions company when the boat has 400 holes in it taking in water. We have customers leaving left and right, conversions going horribly even though they shouldn't these days, so many rules you can't keep any legacy restrictions straight, and senior mgt is more geared towards making the stock look good for investors. Eventually if you keep putting a band-aid on this cut, the infection is going to get out of control and you'll have to amputate. Good people are jumping ship left and right and 95% of the people i work with only see it as a job and dream of a better way out. Very sad enviornment to go to work to every day. I pray things change or you're going to lose all the good people quickly.

Other Employee Reviews for EarthLink

"Its a paycheck....not a career"

Former Employee - Data Support in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Data Support in Rochester, NY

Pros

Worked with an intelligent group of technicians that would follow through on issues until they were resolved. Built a nice building with a cubicle environment. PTO is normal....20 days (no sick days) for the first 5 years.

Cons

It is very apparent that there is no accountability in this company whatsoever. There is a lack of process/procedures and a lot of things are taken care of with no paper trail. Raises are non-existent, unless you call the 2% raise they just got after 5 years "worth the wait." Overworked and underpaid seems to be a well deserved motto for my former peers. Any concerns or suggestions for a better work environment seem to fall on deaf ears. Training is a joke. A link to a webex or document shows up in your email and you are expected to be an expert on everything in it. They continue to roll out products that are untested to an uneducated company and act as if the world stops turning when things start to go wrong. There is little to no career path. Once you make it to the highest level of your team.....there is nowhere to go from there.

Advice to Management

Rolla - The morale of your employees is beaten and low. Buying pizza for everyone once every 6 months and giving out water bottles is not going to make that better. You are obviously out of touch with your employee. Get off your throne and actually some sit on the floor and see what is done day-to-day. It will open your eyes!

Upper level management - there are too many of you sucking up the paychecks of the people that actually do the work of this company. This group needs to be evaluated and cleaned out. Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Mid level management - Actually listen to what the floor managers/supervisors are telling you. Listen to their suggestions and grow some balls and implement a change. You are the obvious point of failure for accountability. Force your floor managers to hold their team accountable for their actions OR LACK THERE OF!

Floor managers/supervisors - Don't be afraid of doing what you have to do, to get something done. Don't worry about the politics of who's ass you gotta kiss and remember that your only worry is the customer and your team.

"Working At Earthlink (Work is fine, Employees there are cut-throat and underhanded within Engineering and Mgmt team)"

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Hard to have any Pros with this company however I will state a couple:
    *working at a Tier 4 Internet Service Provider (looks good on resume)
    *Products and Technology being used are somewhat current

Cons

Here are my Cons:
    *For this company to be a Tier 4 ISP, they have a continuous amount of Network Outages daily just about. This is completely unacceptable since you have customers that depend on their internet services for business purposes.
    *For lack of proper funding towards engineering equipment there were no monies allotted for equipment upgrades or anything however the CEO can continue to buy his friends smaller companies for a ELNK corporate buy out program. Just like the US government.
    *Within engineering the lack of properly onboarding new employes was terrible
    Its not right to make the NEW employee document items that were NOT properly documented since the creation of the company.
    *Management within engineering was completely incompetent, since I worked there I dealt with two different managers, 1 manager was a complete Bully (think of a schoolyard bully and that is the way this guy acted) and the other decided the best way to manage was through micromanagement.
    *Within the engineering team here in Atlanta, let me say this I have NEVER seen a group of grown men act so petty and childish. If the ring leader did not like you, the rest of his followers didn't like you either. If I asked a question they would follow his lead on whether or not answer. It was a complete disaster and I so glad I am out of that situation!

Advice to Management

My advice is to properly train your managers that support the engineering teams. None of the managers should EVER manage by a strong arm tactic or by micromanagement. Its completely unnecessary. Also the engineers that have been there should do their best to properly document the network versus dumping that on any new engineers. I have never seen a place that majority of their employees are miserable about the job. Also I would train engineers and their associated management staff on how to interact and work directly with women. This group of so called men that I worked with had NO clue on that at all. In closing ELNK NEEDS to diversify within their engineering team and at the director level as well!