EarthLink - im a e-a for this company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EarthLink

"im a e-a for this company."

Current Employee - E-a in Queens Village, NY
Current Employee - E-a in Queens Village, NY

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A ton of different products to choose from.

Cons

need for managment to need out leads to reps to call.

Advice to Management

Make me a Sale manager and i will show them how to bring in more business, sale rep's need a great manager . Someone that will lead them not yell at them.

Other Employee Reviews for EarthLink

"A company that cares nothing about its customers and even less about its employees."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Burlington, MA

I have been working at EarthLink full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company will hire people with little or no relevant experience as long as they demonstrate the ability to work overtime whenever requested and not question the status quo. They feel that they will be able to bring them up to speed with the right training. Training is very hard to get, however. Live training has disappered from the scene entirely. Instead we have Computer Based Training that you can take any time on your own personal time. Or you can request permission from your manager to take training on company time. Good luck with that. The main courses that your are permitted to take are the basic HR courses on sexual harassment, social media policy, how to report violations of company policies to management. The quality of the technical courses are very basic. They take a course that should have been a 4-8 hour class training session and reduce it to an hour. Then your manager tells you we're very busy so you should be able to finish the course in 20 minutes. The upside of this is it is easier to escape accountability for your mistakes. When confronted you can just say you were never trained on that particular issue and they know it's true. So they email you a link to read to catch up on the material and you can read it then, after the fact.

Cons

Very poor communications in the area of people. People get fired or find another job and you find out 2-3 weeks later when you realize they are not coming back from vacation. You ask what happened to so and so? They just say, like the Godfather, oh he's not with us anymore. If they found another job you may find out a few weeks later by the grapevine but management will never acknowledge that one of the prisoners escaped. Don 't want to encourage other breakouts. You might think they would advertise the firings as a warning to keep other employees in line but just the opposite. Because once you find out surreptitiously why they were fired the excuses are so trivial they are ridiculous, if not illegal. Coming back from a break a few minutes late after being given a warning for doing it before. Seriously!

Great communications in the area of technical changes and developments. Bad news is they send technical news to everybody with no screening to determine if it is relevant to the people on the list. Many employees just hit the delete key for everything because they haven't got time to weed through the chaff. Other bad news is they continually change policy and procedures sometimes on a weekly basis over trivial tasks that take 5 minutes to accomplish. Nothing significant is being changed - only the order in which people are being notified of the change and how to document the transactions. In an email? In a new repair ticket? In a new comment section within an existing repair ticket? Maybe we should open up a service order instead? C' mon Managers! If we can do the task in 5 minutes, why do you write a 6 page memo on who should do it vs. who should pass it on to somebody else because they are too busy. And then change it again in 2 weeks. That's a trick question. Nobody really does anything in our group. They pass it on to another group because we're too busy telling the customer what we are going to do to help them that we haven't got time to stop and actually help them. We are not problem solvers. We are problem stackers. We take the customers problems and stack them on the shelf for another group to pick up. Then they fluff it and puff the problem and pass it on to another group. Meanwhile customers defect daily. How long can they take not getting their problems fixed? How long can we make excuses for not fixing their problems. We test these questions every day. The customers walk away so we lose their business $$. They lose the time they wasted calling us with no satisfaction. It's a classic lose-lose situation and yet some bean counters in the company are writing up reports showing how much they saved the company by operating with maybe one quarter of the people needed to do the job right.

Advice to Management

Sell the company now. The Dow Jones is hitting records. The price is never going to get better.

"Lousy company. Corrupt HR. Terrible leadership."

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at EarthLink full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leaving. There isn't one good thing.

Cons

I can't stress enough how bad this company is. It's a strange battle between HR and management against sales reps. There are loopholes and landmines everywhere. Getting comped on sale? Trick question, there are no sales. Management wants the turnover, which makes no sense at all. Please don't take a sales job here. The big boss is out of control.

Advice to Management

It's to late. Good luck in the next round, I wouldn't hire you.