East West Bank - I took a substantial pay cut just so I didn't have to work here anymore. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for East West Bank

"I took a substantial pay cut just so I didn't have to work here anymore."

Former Employee - Commercial Banking Officer in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Commercial Banking Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at East West Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My previous company (United Commercial Bank) was acquire by East West, which had been our largest competitor. In retrospect, I may not have been the most cooperative holdover, and they were at least patient enough to let me carry on while my work performance suffered. I genuinely enjoyed the work that I did and I don't think the employees were terrible people. The HQ is in Pasadena, which is a nice area.

Cons

It's been quite a few years and I still feel a strong dislike for this company. I feel that the culture is a bit negative, and from my perspective, there was a bit of mistrust. It may have been situational, since we were acquired, but I know it wasn't just me. Many of the ex-UCB employees left when they could. Some of the EWB employees that I befriended were unhappy also. I never felt welcomed as an employee, the department didn't welcome us, people didn't go out of their ways to introduce themselves. It took a lot of effort, we had two different bosses/department heads that were jostling for positioning, and I felt like the red headed step child until the day I left.

Pay is pretty low, the company is a bit petty, and while they do offer work sponsorship, I felt that it was a bit exploitative. It's practically indentured service from the loan assistants that I had talked to.

The middle managers/team leaders were not that smart, competent, or adept as leaders. I will concede that this may be true of this banking niche in general, at least from my outlook (I was pretty young/immature back then) Those with ambitions should not stay as the opportunities are not merit based, but rather relationship oriented. Exit opportunities are not great; I had a difficult time breaking into mainstream banks since no one outside of the Chinese-American banking circle knows about EWB, despite it's size and "prestige."

Other Employee Reviews for East West Bank

1. "Good friendly staff"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Floater in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Floater in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at East West Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good friendly staff, utilize chinese speaking skills, not much stress

Cons

very little opportunities to move up, tedious and repetitive work

Advice to Management

praise employees

"Careful which superior you trust"

Former Employee - Loan Monitoring Administrator in El Monte, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Monitoring Administrator in El Monte, CA

I worked at East West Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big on promoting within, company tries to foster a sense of working towards providing good customer service to fellow bank employees and external customers.

Cons

Subpar benefits, office politics can lead to terminations, some will trust employees while others micromanage, you definitely need to watch your back,

Advice to Management

Don't allow rogue Payroll Supervisors to run the show, give your employees the light of day as well