Eastern Illinois University - Great way to make side money and finish a degree | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Eastern Illinois University

"Great way to make side money and finish a degree"

Former Contractor - Graduate Assistant in Charleston, IL
Former Contractor - Graduate Assistant in Charleston, IL

I worked at Eastern Illinois University as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The graduate assistant position covered tuition for a Masters program. Additionally, it paid a modest stipend to cover living expenses. In other words, this position gave me a free Masters degree-it's hard to say that's a bad thing! Also, this allowed the student to work closely with a faculty member, allowing him or her to seek mentorship.

Cons

The stipend was a bit too modest, but then again the non-cash benefits more than made up for the modesty in stipend. The hours were great-only twenty per week, which allowed more than enough time to focus on school work and assistantship work.

Other Employee Reviews for Eastern Illinois University

1. "Working for Eastern Illinois has helped me become a better person. I would recommend them to ANYONE!"

Former Employee - Student Worker in Charleston, IL
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Charleston, IL

I worked at Eastern Illinois University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, excellent people, down to earth attitude with minimal B.S.

Cons

The campus is located in a less-populated area making creature comforts like shopping malls a bit of a drive. If you can survive without those malls, you can surly rough it here.

Advice to Management

Have benefits to Student Workers. They make up a great deal of your work force and the only thing they get out of it is minimum wage at-best.

2. "My time at EIU was both inspiring and rewarding."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, IL

Pros

EIU is a nice, close community to work. The people are very warm and friendly and always eager to assist one another.

Cons

The school is set out in a small town and at times there is not a lot to do after work and not a lot of places to visit. But still close enough to a decent sized city like Champaign, Illinois for whatever activity may interest you.

Advice to Management

I loved my time at EIU, but would encourage management to get more aggressive with their alumni or whatever would put EIU on the map. They should actively encourage or promote partnership with certain fortune 500 companies to draw attention to the school, increase hiring of students from EIU. Several EIU alumni are on boards of fortune 500 companies. EIU has to reach out to them.