Easterseals - Okay work if you want to be in social service and can't afford college. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Easterseals

"Okay work if you want to be in social service and can't afford college."

Former Employee - Direct Support Associate
Former Employee - Direct Support Associate

I worked at Easterseals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All you need is a GED to be eligible for the job. Paid training, paid holidays, mileage reimbursement, on-time payments. There were opportunities for advancement and often people were promoted from within (though the higher-level jobs usually required more than a GED).

Cons

The training was two weeks full time, but then almost nothing I learned in the training applied to the work. I never did receive my CPR certificate from the initial training. It didn't feel like a real job. I picked the client up at his house and drove around 30 hours a week with the client doing things like going to the gym, the library, malls, fast-food restaurants - wherever he wanted to go. I tried to interact with him and use some of the training, but all he wanted to do was play on his iphone. I went to the office for monthly meetings and that was about it for contact with the rest of the staff. The supervisor would respond to text messages but let emails go unanswered.

Other Employee Reviews for Easterseals

1. "Excellent flex-time opportunities and work/life balance."

Former Employee - RSP Peer Support in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - RSP Peer Support in Southfield, MI

I worked at Easterseals part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent flex-time and variable part and full time opportunities; opportunities to work with a laptop at variable locations; excellent work/life balance opportunities.

Cons

Many positions have very heavy workloads; in many cases the pay is not comparable to other volunteer or similiar corporate positions.

2. "This agency has very poor leadership, no opportunity for advancement, financial instability and very low employee morale"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Santa Fe, NM
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Santa Fe, NM

I worked at Easterseals full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to serve the developmentally disabled and the elderly.

Cons

Upper management does not communicate downward to mid and lower level employees, either about direction, motivation and new developments. Management style is very old school, using tyranny and bullying rather than team spirit and motivation. Many employees are constantly in fear of losing their jobs due to the financial instability of the agency.

Advice to Management

Treat at will employees with respect and appreciation. Be willing to listen to employees to improve daily operations. Exercise better cost containment by cutting upper management salaries. This agency is top heavy in personnel costs.