Ebates - Great product, but unpleasant culture, no great perks - truly hated worked here. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ebates

"Great product, but unpleasant culture, no great perks - truly hated worked here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ebates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At it's core, Ebates is a great product. Nothing groundbreaking - just excellent affiliate marketing. The CEO seems to have a lot of intrinsic leadership skills, however, he does have the ability to fix all of the so much, but seems to choose not to. Loved my transportation stipend.

Cons

I spent over 2 years at Ebates and observed the following:

1. These reviews speaking to an excellent culture are likely fake - Ebates recently hired a contractor to make it appear a more pleasant place to work

2. Want to work here? Hope you enjoy some good, old fashioned hazing! You will be required to sing in front of the entire company your first week. These days you can bake something instead, however, the main objective is clearly to embarrass new employees. It's painful to participate in and painful to watch a new coworker, likely trying to gain their footing at a new place, struggle.

3. Try not to be a woman. I've experiences awful behavior from male VPs on several occasions. Whether a comment encouraging me to make my hair more blonde, or a comment on my pants, this became the norm during my tenure at Ebates. I actually do not believe any these comments were made with any malicious or inappropriate intention, they sure did make me feel uncomfortable.

4. Don't get sick. Seriously - no sick days. Couple that with a great open format office and things get passed around quickly. To be fair, they are quite flexible when people need to work from home.

5. People get really stressed and nasty during the holiday season. Maybe this is the case across ecommerce, but it something that the exec team could easily combat if they wanted.

6. Last year we got our MBOs in November. Yes. NOVEMBER.

7. Compensation is not competitive. Very little opportunity for career growth.

I hope Ebates great success and there is no malicious intent in this review, I would have wanted to know about these experiences before joining Ebates.

Advice to Management

Stop condoning bad behavior, ask your employees for feedback, deliver MBOs on time, stop forcing new employees to sing - try welcoming them in a friendly manner.

Other Employee Reviews for Ebates

"Like high school all over again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ebates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty easy job and laid back work environment. Ability to telecommute at times.

Cons

Required to sing and dance like a monkey as a new employee in front of everyone during the weekly Friday company meeting. High turnover rate and low pay. High school like work environment, a lot of cliques. Questionable or down right shady business practice of not transitioning contract workers over to a FT employee after the 90 day trial period and just stringing them along longer as a contract employee. For instance, the majority of the people in the accounting department.

On a side note, there appears to be a good amount of "suspect" positive reviews that all showed up in the span of two days of each other, odd given how there are only about 100 employees at Ebates.

2. "Ebates is growing rapidly; great environment and plentiful opportunities for pro-active employees"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ebates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ebates' growth is accelerating rapidly. Market opportunities for the business are strong, and the company is well-poised to succeed on numerous fronts. With this growth and expansion, there is ample opportunity for pro-active employees to contribute and take on new responsibilities. Ebates is very data-centric, and business decisions are driven by metrics... not impulses or personal preferences. There is a culture of accountability and support. Compensation and benefits are above average - the company is generous with core and fringe benefits. Great office location. Intelligent and friendly employees.

Cons

As an e-commerce business, Ebates activities are driven by market developments and needs. As such, priorities can shift and evolve with short notice, but this is not uncommon to the industry nor specific to Ebates. Less a "con," this is just a reality of the business, and it requires all employees to be nimble, flexible, and accommodating.

Advice to Management

Continue to balance the need to evolve with the necessity to maintain (and grow) key business performance.