Echo Global Logistics - Tons of good opportunities | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Echo Global Logistics

"Tons of good opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's tons of room for growth, they're adding new branches and each branch is growing, including Chicago. All but one Branch Manager is an internal promotion, and every supervisor is promoted from within. Fun atmosphere, very energetic, the company realizes that sales is sometimes a grind and will incent not only with things like beer Fridays but also with outside sales trips. This really engages the sales force and acts as a light at the end of the tunnel--but one that's attainable. Higher-than-normal commission percentage for customer and carrier sales reps.

Cons

Rapid growth leads to growing pains, i.e., leadership territorial disputes. There's not a lot of "low-hanging fruit," which actually is a plus, but that means that to advance you either wait for growth or create your own opportunity.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to make investments in developing your existing employees. You're putting a ton of money into training, which is great, but the existing talent would love to see some development as well.

Other Employee Reviews for Echo Global Logistics

"Great Place"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is thorough, great opportunity for advancement, amazing work environment! The Dallas branch is amazing, we have a great view of downtown (The best balcony in Dallas!), the work environment is fun, energetic, and laid back! Beer Fridays and contest really keep friendly competition within the branch and our management is great and always full of encouragement!

Cons

Hey if you don't like putting in hard work, like sales jobs, or waking up early then it's probably not the place for you.

"Executives do not respect IT"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Echo Global Logistics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The IT dept at Echo is top notch. The entire team wants to make a great product. The IT managers are great. They can be a tad bit arrogant, but name me one IT manager who isn't one of the most arrogant people you've meet. There is a real chance for advancement in this dept, which is rare for IT. And it isn't based on favorites, but skill level. However...

Cons

The Executives do not give us any respect or time to do what's right. They're constantly pushing us to do things quick and easy.

The pay and benefit structure do not match the market. The health insurance plan for families is the worst I've ever seen offered to an IT dept. The co-pay is almost $800/month. Most employees with families do not use Echo's insurance cause the cost is too high. It's cheaper for them to purchase it online or use their spouse's plan.

The 401k matching is the bare minimum a company can offer and still legally be able to state they have matching 401k. It's all based on very long term vestments so you'll never see the matching $.

They claim your bonuses is a max of 5%, but in reality it's only maxes out at 2.5%, vs. the standard 10% offered by most IT places. The upper management does not see bonuses as a way to reward you for hard work, instead they see it as some chicken feed to throw at you so they can say they handed out bonuses.

The high turnover rate reflects the lack of benefits, and yet they still haven't figured it out.

Advice to Management

Give your IT dept a real competitive bonus structure. Pay for most of their health insurance, which is pretty standard for IT dept. The current benefits structure makes me NOT want to work hard or work overtime. We had record profits the last 2 years mainly due to new products pushed out via overtime by IT. But yet the IT dept is constantly given the cold shoulder.