EchoStar - Excellent place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for EchoStar

"Excellent place to work"

Pros

Values work/life balance and is a place where I feel appreciated.

Cons

Could improve their benefits especially their insurance benefits.

Other Employee Reviews for EchoStar

1. "Excellent Experience"

I have been working at EchoStar full-time

Pros

Open doors when it comes to management. Very large team of people to work with and bounce ideas off of. Scheduled shift work.

Cons

Very large teams.

Shift work.

Salary could be better for what we do.

Most older team members are complacent

Usually limited to what you can do by managements knowledge of a project.

Advice to Management

Recognize that when you hire someone with the exact education and experience for the position that they are paid better. It's a bummer to work with someone with no industry experience or education and they make equal to or greater than what you are making.

2. "EchoStar is a leading-edge high-tech telecommunications company where you can make a difference."

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at EchoStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Working for an innovative, high-tech company that invests heavily in leading edge technology to stay ahead of the curve. Satellites, Linux, server farms everywhere, virtual machines, endless applications, tools and software. This is truly a technology playground.
    2. There are many opportunities to make a difference. From small projects to long-term missions, if you have the ambition, you can excel and make a name for yourself here.
    3. Compared to my previous positions, the work-life balance here is superb. Most managers are satisfied if you work a solid eight hours.
    4. Most managers are very reasonable when it comes to performance expectations and workload.
    5. Most of the employees here are great people to work with.

Cons

1. Can't think of many negatives of working here but I'll try:
    2. The benefits are average (not bad but not great). For example, the health insurance plans have fairly high deductibles before the plans start paying and you get 2 weeks vacation for the first 5 years. Again, not terrible but not great.
    3. Some of the locations are difficult to travel to (satellite uplink facilities) or surrounded by lots of traffic (Inverness in Denver).
    4. Some of the employees are disgruntled and I wish they would just leave and find a job that they like instead of spreading their negativity around.

Advice to Management

You've done a great job with the technology and the finances (product lines, financial performance, etc.). My only advice is that the benefits should be improved. Why be just another average company when it comes to benefits? If you offer great benefits then your employees will recognize the sentiment and really appreciate the company that they work for. For example, my previous company offered 3 weeks vacation after 2 years of employment and that was a benefit that everyone thought was fantastic. In addition, the health insurance plans had much lower deductibles ($100 for an individual and $400 for employee+family) and the bimonthly cost was lower as well.

Why not take the company to the next level by offering excellent "stand-out" benefits instead of just average benefits like everyone else?