Edelman - Best Public Relations Internship Out There | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Edelman

"Best Public Relations Internship Out There"

Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL
Current Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

At Edelman, interns work incredibly hard and are given a lot of responsibility. Most interns handle a workload of a AAE and add a tremendous amount to their portfolio. You're going to work more than 9-5 but that's standard PR for you! I've found that upper management is really receptive to hearing ideas from all members of the team, including interns, and it was pretty cool being able to contribute to overall strategy as an intern.

Cons

The pay is pretty meager and I think that creates stress for interns, especially when you're there for six months.

Advice to Management

Increase intern pay. As most interns have their bachelor's degree and are expected to work for 6 months, it'd be considerate to adequately compensate them for their work and experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Edelman

1. "Great work experience, but lots of double standards and too much office politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You really get to learn a lot at Edelman! Anyone new to the business will get all the training they need starting their career here. If you can get someone from upper management "behind" you, you will excel and do really well. The first three years there, I experienced relative job growth and comparable salary adjustments. There were a lot of employee perks and benefits- probably the most I've ever had at any other company. If you like hard work, are just starting out and need experience, this is the place for you! I thoroughly enjoyed my job here and all that I was able to take away from the experience.

Cons

There was a great salary disparity at all levels- raises were based on who you know, who your team managers are, and what clients you worked for. Once the VIP behind me was let go through "downsizing," there was no more job growth or salary adjustments. I noticed a glass ceiling for minority job growth and advancement- no minority upper level managers, and virtually no minority staff (other than interns) working on projects that were "diversity" oriented! Managers were reluctant to let their good employees advance to other areas of the company. Often, new people or temporary consultants were hired on instead of promoting from within across areas. Seniority didn't really mean much unless you were an Executive level employee. There was a lot of back-stabbing and corporate bickering among staff, double standards for different staff levels and even finger-pointing, blaming and all-around very hostile environment. The micro-managing became unbearable- I had to clock in/out when I used the restroom?? HR was not very helpful- seemingly mediators, but never resolved any issues other than to assist with your exit interview, which by the time you were done with it, your computer was disconnected from the system and you were locked out of any files and your access denied! Communication is the cornerstone of Public Relations- how ironic that Edelman can execute PR events with the best of them, but management had some of the poorest communicators I had ever worked with!

Advice to Management

Get a clue! Undercover Boss is a great show that opens the eyes of out-of-touch bosses- Edelman needs a serious dose of that! My experience was a few years ago, but if things haven't changed much (which from reading other reviews I gather they haven't), try being more open-minded and not so narrowly focused on traditional ways of running a business. Try equality across the board, not by department or levels of management. You need to think outside the box with regards to organizational behavior relative to management and staff, and be just as creative as you are with your PR events. Hire more diverse staff: people who can bring new cultures, ideas and ways of doing things to senior level positions, and not just in their own countries! Hire a company like Accenture to help make Edelman the type of company people expect it to be!

"Great name, doesn't live up to expectation"

Former Intern - Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Edelman as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great for your resume, you work with people who are friendly and very talented.
    Awesome clients! It's a good start to your career because people have high expectations of the agency.

Cons

Trainees are not paid, too many interns/trainees hired takes away from recognizing talent and providing them a full experience. Dispose of trainees/interns not to mention most stay past hours without pay.