Edmunds.com - Teir III Sales World | Glassdoor

"Teir III Sales World"

Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Sales in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High base. Very nice support people.

Cons

This a review for the Tier 3 sales division. When looking at jobs at Edmunds, realize that developers, engineers and Interns live in a completely different world then you inhabit as a Sales rep. Edmunds is struggling to find an identity; are they a listing site or a research site.
Even with the industry high base they are having a difficult time keeping people. They are desperate to find sales reps that can start closing on day 1; so you have to have deep connections to get hired. You will need them; its only your relationships that will keep customers. Price cuts and free products have done little to stem the loss of customers. There is no marketing of the product or company and you will receive little help from the executive team. They are unapproachable and anything but transparent. Fear and intimidation are the management tools.
The executive team is more focused on getting people fired than adding new business. They take great pride and go through great lengths to get people to leave. Remember, they are offering an Industry high base salary and people are still walking away! The majority of people have been there less then 2 years and most have looked elsewhere; but they stay for the high base. Look at all the reviews on Glassdoor; then subtract Interns, Software folks and every review written on August 1st and you will see a true picture of Edmunds.com. They really could have done great things.

Advice to Management

You need a major cleaning! Call any of your ex-sales people (who you spent ten's of thousand to recruit and train) and ask them why they left. I guarantee the same name will come up over and over again. If your goal is to stay in the classified listing space you need to bring in some outside help. You could probably benefit for some HR audits. Your sales people are afraid of one person. That person would rather get involved in the firing of a sales reps then admit their wrong. That person spends more time on petty issues then on sales strategies. You can't run a national sales team like a car wash. Get some outside help or give up.

Other Employee Reviews for Edmunds.com

"Worst Working Environment I Have Ever Experienced"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Moffett Field, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Moffett Field, CA

I have been working at Edmunds.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Forward thinking CEO & President.

Cons

Please see Culturally oppressive, review posted on July 27 on glassdoor. This is a true review if you are a field employee. If you consider a position in sales get some honest answers on the turnover rate (I was mislead).

Advice to Management

Executive Management needs to step up and do some "house cleaning" at the sales management level. How can you allow this amount of turnover in your sales force without asking questions.

"Frequent role changes without title or pay changes."

Former Employee - Sales Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Edmunds.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ROWE (results only work environment). As long as the work gets done, it doesn't matter how many hours you work or where you work from (in theory). Fresh fruit every morning, cereal on Monday mornings, bagels on Friday mornings, some catered lunches. Good opportunity to work with cutting edge technology (depending on your role).

Cons

As an employee moves further along in tenure they are demanded to take on additional projects, work, and in person meetings, which actually ends up in longer hours spent and increasingly stressful expectations. You must be a "yes man" and expect to take on anything that comes your way.

I became a yes man, played by the rules, took on additional projects and completed numerous high level assignments and even presented to executive management and when a promotional opportunity to Sr. Analyst role came up within my team which I clearly deserved, the job posting was put up without even having a conversation with me. I was extremely dedicated to Edmunds, played a lead role in developing our dealer performance tool, performed equivalent if not better quality work of Managers and Sr. Manager's of Analytics & Development yet although I was told that I and my work was valued by the team, the actions didn't follow the words.

Edmunds seems to be having an identity crisis. The company built its reputation as a great resource for consumers to find information and reviews about vehicles. Over the past couple years, the company has cheapened itself to more of an advertising/car buying oriented website and drastic organizational changes are made hastily every few months to try to compete with pure automotive buying/selling websites such as TrueCar.

Be aware of favoritism and HEAVY politics.

Advice to Management

When a talented person comes along, treat them well if you value them and want to keep them around. Providing fresh fruit in the mornings and buying neat looking office furniture probably isn't what will keep them around.