Education Management Corporation - It was nice working at the school while taking classes. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

"It was nice working at the school while taking classes."

Former Employee - Mailroom Supervisor in Decatur, GA
Former Employee - Mailroom Supervisor in Decatur, GA

I worked at Education Management Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at the school I was attending so I got to work out a flexible schedule. It was a really easy student job so no pressure.

Cons

Sometimes I felt like I was being taken advantage of because of how hard I worked. I would often find myself being relied on to do things that did not seem appropriate for a student worker to be doing or have the responsibility.

Advice to Management

Needs a better training protocol. I was trained by a receptionist who eventually left and then I had to train someone to take over my job. Unfortunately I was the only one who knew about any of my responsibilities.

Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation

"Going public and hiring UOP's top brass killed this once-wonderful company"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, Health, dental, vision insurance and beyond that, not much.

Cons

Oh where to start? Lack of respect from upper level management to lower lever management and employees, unrealistic expectations and motivation via fear creates undue stress, never feel you have any job security, constant changes no one finds out about until someone has broken compliance or some other rule, absolutely NO growth potential if you aren't part of the clique/ass-kissing crowd, money-hungry at student's expense, pose as interested in "student-success" but truly it's about numbers and the bottom line and making a grab for the money while that ability is still there.

Advice to Management

Stop assuming you know anything about how to enroll viable students. You enrolled students 10-15 years ago, I've done it for three years and it has changed TREMENDOUSLY in that period of time. Communicate respectfully with lower-level management and employees, create an environment that breeds success through positivity..constant emails reminding us we need to hit X many students as a team and building make us roll our eyes...you say this every day and it's not motivational..it's patronizing. Give lateral movements to employees who are passionate about the students they serve rather than to the employees who are passionate about kissing management's ass and stop promoting people into management based on numbers rather than management skills. Basically, stop pandering to shareholders and start ACTUALLY caring about student success. When you do that, the numbers, the money and the morale will take care of itself!

"The right idea, the wrong company"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

paid education, opportunities to move within their brands (Argosy University, Art Institute, Brown Mackie College, South University, etc.).

Cons

inexperienced management teams, poor communication at all levels of service, schedule changes without notice to accommodate upper management, without regard to those being told to change. recent and continuing lay-offs, major law-suits against the company in public eye, fast overturn rate at employee level (admissions, academic, and finance departments).

Advice to Management

While the idea of working for your company is enticing, there are many things that need to be considered as changes, starting with looking at the culture created by upper management, at the director level and higher, and evaluating where the problems the company is experiencing are coming from. Instead of laying off huge numbers of workers, only to have to hire and re-train new employees, look into the root of the problem.