Education Management Corporation - A toxic soup of shady leadership, gestapo HR tactics, and below average quality of academics... RUN! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Education Management Corporation

"A toxic soup of shady leadership, gestapo HR tactics, and below average quality of academics... RUN!"

Former Employee - Military Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Military Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Met some fabulous friends there. When you go through war together, you form a bond that is strong.

Cons

Lest you think I am disgruntled employee because something bad happened to me there, know that I was there for over three years and was not only a top performer from the beginning but also one of the highest paid admissions reps in the company. I never got tagged for a compliance violation. In three years I missed a start date quota only once and that was when I went on vacation. I was a model employee and a great example of what they wanted all their employees to be like. Now tat you have the background on me, take my advice and look elsewhere. This company is a cesspool of all that is wrong about coporaate America and for profit schools. It is crawling with dishonest and unethical leaders. I was there three years and any senior level executive who was talented and had integrity was eventually forced out. I have worked for the last 25 years of my life and I have never worked for a company that systematically cultivated shady people like they were growing a new crop of a**holes each season like they do at EDMC until I worked here. I never aspired to management because A) I made too much money--I was hired before they adjusted the matrix and B) it as clear to succeed in this company as a leader you must sell your soul to the devil. A very high price to pay indeed.

I found a new job and even took a significant cut to my base pay to work in an environment that was positive and for people who appreciate my talent and skill. I have regretd this decision for one second.

Advice to Management

1. Comprehend the health of your organization depends of the health of your employees. Working here makes people anxious, stressed, paranoid, fearful, and physically sick with no work life balance because taking any time off puts you in jeopardy of not hitting your numbers. Perhaps your stock price is a direct reflection of the health of your organization. Once tradin in the 30's, you no languish and flounder between 1 and 3. Dismal.

2. Stay out of jail or civil court if you can. Or, on second thought, I hope you rot there and lose all of your money as atonement.

Other Employee Reviews for Education Management Corporation

1. "good job out of school, not for a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Education Management Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work with great people, good benefits, more laid back atmosphere than in other departments, do not have to work on weekends

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth or upward movement, jobs are monotonous, a lot of talk about opportunities and growth with little or no action

Advice to Management

Follow thru on promises to employees

"Be careful."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Education Management Corporation full-time

Pros

There are many talented, friendly employees who are team players. Most are permitted to have a reasonable work/life balance. Quite a few make an effort to maintain a healthy working environment.

Cons

Up until recently, EDMC was a great place to work, and there used to almost be a family-type of atmosphere. However, senior management has gradually made more choices that favored investors more than students. Work is initiated because it brings in money - not because it has long term benefits. Enrollment has been down, and so cuts were made. Those cuts first affected well respected teachers - of all people! More recently, cuts were made at the Pittsburgh corporate location. Almost no explanation was made as to why those particular people were cut - some had just been hired two months before and some had been around more than 10 years. Many were simply told that the cuts were NOT performance based but seemed to be treated the same as others who had previously been fired. That seemed disrespectful. Supervisors who had input as to which people would be eliminated were mysteriously not available afterwords. There are cliques that have a surprising amount of control over departments and if you're not on their good side you'll know it. Human Resources is not careful or professional in terms of how they handle sensitive matters - sensitive information is not fully hidden from people who shouldn't see it.

Advice to Management

Treat students and employees as you would want your family and friends to be treated. Remember and recognize good, professional, and loyal behavior - don't punish it. And remember who you say you serve the most - the students. If they're not learning what they need to, or if they shouldn't have been enrolled to begin with, you'll hurt all the more.