Edward Jones - Great learning experience | Glassdoor

"Great learning experience"

Current Employee - Financial Planner in Wilmington, DE
Current Employee - Financial Planner in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work ethics and environment

Cons

no steady work hours. need flexiblity

Other Employee Reviews for Edward Jones

"Home Office does not back up the BOA's when problems occur between BOA and FA"

Former Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Fredericksburg, TX
    Former Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Fredericksburg, TX

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you happen to work for a nice FA that you can get along with and they are willing to reward your good performance with sharing their bonuses, it can be a very good job.

Cons

If you end up with an FA that is not a nice person - be careful. I worked for Ed Jones for five years - 2 1/2 years with a great guy who ended up leaving the firm to work for another company. I transferred to another new FA. At first things were good and he was eager to begin earning larger commissions so that he could share his bonus with me. I got a couple of mediocre bonuses and was looking forward to more and more as time went on. I worked very hard to do my job and establish our branch and deal with clients to build "our business." Home office pushes this "team" scenario. Supposedly you and your FA are a "branch team" and you are expected to help the FA figure out how to market the branch and bring in more clients/money. This all making $12 an hour. You do it because you are promised the reward of bonuses when the FA becomes profitable. All of a sudden, my FA began making up things about my performance and making a big deal out of any small error that occurred. I found plenty of mistakes made by the FA, I might add. He reported me to home office after he spoke to me in an unprofessional manner (yelled at me) and made complaints that the HR person said were very minor and for me not to worry. It just got worse, I was miserable every day and began having health problems. I quit after the FA downgraded my performance rating from the top rating to the lowest rating. That meant I would get practically zero bonus. After I quit, the HR person I had been talking to (who acted like she was a friend who cared) screwed me over and I did not get my bonus that I was supposed to get. I now have a good job closer to home and am happy to have left that horrible situation. Good riddance!

Advice to Management

Treat your BOA's better - pay them better because they work hard for the branch and then get screwed over. Stop turning a blind eye to FA's abusing their BOA's. Hold the FA's accountable for their bad behavior. You have a double standard - letting the FA behave in any abusive manner they choose but the BOA is expected to toe the line.

"Branch Office Administrator"

Former Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - BOA Branch Office Administrator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with good benefits. You have support all the way around.

Cons

Very lonely position. At times there is nothing to do but sit and it is very hard on your back. There is no one in the office for you to talk to. You can be friendly to the clients, but it is all business. Interview your FA well. I would NOT recommend coming on-board with a new FA when you’re new. They are so focus on money that you get lost and reprimanded for things you didn’t know you were supposed to do. "I don’t know what you don’t tell me". The FAs are fighting to keep or get business in this economy and they are VERY stressed and pass that on to their BOAs. Also, only take this position if you must have a job, don’t take this position if you have a degree, it is a waste of your talent and education and you will be so disappointed.

Advice to Management

Think about having a desk that the BOA can stand at. Sitting all day is REALLY bad for your health. I was shocked to see about 90% of the BOA were very over weight. These people are going to have a heart attack or stroke! You should also pay the BOA more. $14.95 for a person with a degree is a shame.