Edward Jones - Great company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Field Supervision Director in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Field Supervision Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not publicly held, so they tend to go against the flow to take advantage of business opportunities at the most advantageous times. Great limited partnership opportunities. Great training.

Cons

Niche is "mom and pop" investors, which they do better than anyone. However, that fact limits their products and solutions somewhat.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do best.

Other Employee Reviews for Edward Jones

"Good Training program for first 2 years. Beware of hardball tactics if you choose to leave."

Current Employee - Investment Representative in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Investment Representative in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They will get you through your Series 7, 63, and Life Insurance Licensing, and teach you the basics of selling. Not many companies will do that for beginners anymore.

Cons

You do have to sign a 24 month agreement to pay them back for the expense of training you if you leave before that time. Also, if you become a good producer, as I did, they will Fight you, and turn on you, and keep your clients if you try to leave. They are evil. They constantly tout their "Family Friendly culture", but it's more like a Mafia family if you decide to go. No one will ever speak to you again, and the company will try to rub you out, since you will now be in competition for the clients you have brought into the firm. Pay as an employee is only about 35%, and you will starve. I worked night & day to meet their goals, but when they keep over 60%, plus you have marketing expenses, etc, it means you work for next to nothing.

Advice to Management

Do not go after reps who choose to leave because they have worked to build a business, and if they need more money by going independent, you should not be able to hold that against them. They have this growth plan that means putting a new rep in every half mile in major cities. You farm that area for years, spending your own hard-earned money to advertise, and then they give it away to another new rep - and you are a bad person if you point this out.

"Please please think carefully about taking a job here"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like it and are good at it you are compensated pretty well for little work it seems. My field trainer told me he was "clearing six figures" and he only worked 2 or 3 days a week and it was only his 5th year with the company. He had no integrity and told me how he would scam the elderly so maybe that's how he was "clearing six figures"

Cons

Awful culture, horribly demeaning "door knocking". Literally the worst mistake of my life.

They told me during training that usually people had an 80% success rate of knocking on someone's door and getting their phone number and permission to call later. I had probably a 1% success rate. I asked everyone I could think of for help, and no one was willing to help at all. It was one of the worst experiences of my life and completely and utterly destroyed my self esteem.

I went to the nearest advisor's office to introduce myself and she screamed at me and told me she would destroy me if I even looked at one of her clients. My field trainer told me how he would put elderly clients in the funds that had the highest comission to him because they don't know any better. He only showed up to the office about 50% of the time when I had a scheduled training session with him and I would sit in his front lobby for 6 hours with his Assistant until I would just give up and go home.

Advice to Management

Find another method of prospecting than door knocking in urban areas. It doesn't work.