Edward Jones - Learning Experience | Glassdoor

"Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a great study process for the Series 7 and 66. Pay you salary to sit at home and study 40 hours a week. The best situation is to take over an already established office. I had heard a statistic that management doesn't want to let out, but if you start completely fresh (no office, or inherited clients) then the failure rate was close to 90% for people in the first 3 years.

Cons

High pressure sales... if you don't perform they will begin cutting your salary back until the point that you simply can't pay your bills so you have to quit. They aren't quick to firing people, but they will cut pay back so much that you have to move on. Out of date prospecting, door to door simply doesn't work in some areas. The senior management don't want to hear this because it worked for them.... in the 1970s. Business as usual, just keep knocking.

Other Employee Reviews for Edward Jones

"Exceptional values and culture; upward & lateral moves difficult."

Current Employee - Non-Reg On-Caller BOA in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Non-Reg On-Caller BOA in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Edward Jones part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company as a whole offers excellent working conditions, excellent training, good benefits, the best integrity and exceeds all industry standards. For financial advisors, the income and opportunity, combined with support and corporate backing is beyond comparison (in my opinion). As a branch office administrator, the work/life balance is excellent, wages are very good, bonuses can be a huge plus if working with a successful and generous advisor. The ability to be your own person, work independently and achieve personal satisfaction is part of the business model at Edward Jones and can be very rewarding.

Cons

As is typical with any investment company, there are tons of rules and regulations to follow and be wary of. This is obviously an industry standard, but something to steer clear of if you aren't a "rule follower" type of person. There is no "doing things your own way" in this business; ever. Career advancement can be difficult, if not impossible with Edward Jones unless you know someone high up on the totem pole in the area you want to advance in. It's a big company with a small company feel to it and a lot of position advancement or location change comes from knowing the right person/persons.

Advice to Management

More emphasis and importance needs to be given to the branch office administrators in regards to hearing and taking action about their concerns. Many of these women ( 98% are women in this capacity) would like to change their location or have a chance to split their hours with someone else (job share) but this is difficult, if not impossible. A lot of back stabbing goes on for the ones who don't mesh well with the advisor and Corporate nearly always sides with the advisor.

2. "Financial Advisor Trainee"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee

I have been working at Edward Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone you meet is part of a vast support channel. I was shocked to be welcomed with open arms in an industry that has a bad reputation for intense competition and back stabbing. I have not seen any of these bad rumors that my friends have at competing firms.

Cons

Rejection and hearing the word "no" can be intimidating.

Advice to Management

Edward Jones is for the serious, long term investor. With that said, there are restrictions for the investment vehicles we can provide to the clients because some of them are too risky. If I had any advice, and I say this with a grain of salt, is to open up all investment vehicles so we can offer our clients more.