Edward Jones - Great company, but business model not a good fit for me | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Edward Jones

"Great company, but business model not a good fit for me"

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Independence, great training, regional leadership in my area was and is fantastic, as are all the people I met while working for the company. If you can "drink the green kool aid", you will love it. The people that succeed are incredibly passionate about what they do and the company, and it's inspiring. Got to meet several former managing partners while working for the company. If you like being on your own without a boss, you will like it. You have support, but you have to seek it out and pick up a phone in order to get it. You really do get to build your business as you want to, as long as you are profitable and ethical, which is really empowering.

Cons

The business model just wasn't a great fit for me- you are very isolated, working from home for a good portion of your training. You have trainers and mentors but, as they are also FAs, their priority is building their own business and you sometimes feel like you are imposing. I am more team-oriented and did not like the idea of sharing my office with just a BOA, which I might not have had any input on hiring. As with most financial firms, getting as many contacts as possible is the priority, and left very little time for any sort of life outside of work (I wanted to go back to school for my MBA, and was told there simply wouldn't be time). If you are a woman, be prepared to be severely outnumbered- my region had the best m-f ratio in the country, but I heard from other women that it was a boys' club and that there was some perceived biases that you couldn't do the job and be a good mother and wife (I heard that from a woman in the South). Even though you go door-knocking during the interview process, I was shocked at how difficult it was day in and day out. Pay for FA trainees is on par with industry, but a lot less than I made at my previous job as a retail manager for a large cell phone company. Be prepared for 60-70 hour work weeks and sleepless nights stressing over numbers. From what I was told, it doesn't get better until year 4. It's helpful to have a spouse that doesn't work, but my husband has his own career and it was too much for us at this time.

Advice to Management

Honestly, it was a great experience and I am really grateful for the opportunity; it just wasn't a good fit for me and my family at this point in our lives. Having great regional leadership makes a huge difference, and I have nothing but respect for those that can stick it out.

Other Employee Reviews for Edward Jones

"The best training in the industry from a company that cares about your career."

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Edward Jones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training. High pass rate for Series 7 and 66 exams. You will always know what is expected of you and what you need to do to accomplish your goals as well as theirs. The job is tough, but Edward Jones will make sure you aren't alone.

Cons

The Edward Jones culture can be overwhelming at times. Also, you will be limited as to what you can provide for your clients, but most of what they truly need - you can provide.

Advice to Management

So much consideration is given in the beginning of a career at Edward Jones, but once you are successful, the company will leave you alone. Sometimes this harsh transition can be difficult.

"Far exceeded my expectations"

Current Intern - Financial Advisor Intern in Orlando, FL
    Current Intern - Financial Advisor Intern in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Edward Jones as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Privately owned, so the business environment is so much different catering to both the employees and the clients
    FACD training program is world-class, there is nothing like it for recent college grads
    Lots of opportunities as average advisor age is about 50, and they are on track to hiring more than 1000 advisors a yr
    Compensation is what you make of it, your work will directly reflect in your pay. 100k to 300k a yr is normal in this company
    Very personal, stress face to face meetings with clients which they value so much. You will make many friends of them
    Diversification trips are one of many ways you are compensated as an FA, and the trips look absolutley amazing

Cons

Sort of old-fashioned in business plan but it works for them and creates more valued relationships
    Very hot when trying to door knock in the summer in Florida.