Edward McKay Used Books - Beware of this place...find something better. | Glassdoor

"Beware of this place...find something better."

in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Edward McKay Used Books

Pros

Talented and well-educated staff, very knowledgeable about their departments of expertise. Trade credit.

Cons

Oh..where do I begin, first let me say that the reviews for this company are correct. When I first started working, I thought this was the coolest most wonderful place to work. It is a place where creativity can reign, and you truly see everything come through. But that dream ended when I started seeing really what was happening in this place. Management does not do their job; training is not done correctly but if you mess up, instead of training you they will fire you. Because management can not get called out on their wrong doings. People work hard there and are only rewarded with a termination slip if you don't quit on your own. I've seen over 30 people if not more get walked out of this place. Policies change depending on write-ups given. No one is on the employee's side. Management will throw you under the bus and not care. Race is an issue because there seems to be no advancement for people of color but if your lucky and do make it to management, if anything goes down your the first to go. You have no lunches, just 2 five minute breaks. No place to sit down, because they removed all the chairs, yet management can go and eat, plus set down in the office. While they watch videos of the employees and see who they can get out. Upper management hires and fires based on their likes and dislikes. Not having the company in mind, but yet they will preach to you about teamwork but they don't follow it themselves. They break you, tell you that everything is wrong and lead with fear instead of purpose. What this company does is hire people with exceptional skills and then say that you're not right and don't know how to do your job. They fear smart, intelligent people only because they know half of the employees that work there can do a better job in management than they do. If you speak your mind, you are a target, while management runs around and tells your business and informs new employees not to get close to your are clique up. Sometimes I wonder how this place is still in business with the type of policies they have in place and the way they treat their staff. Cameras are for employees, not customers, so they can listen to your conversations and find ways to write you up or fire you. They punish you by your schedule if you are on their bad side, you will have a month of cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming at the end of each shift and info for at three days on your schedule. When I started there, my closing duty was vacuuming every night for at least four months, when I asked if I could do other closing duties. I was vacuuming for another two months. The real heartbreak of this job is the wonderful, hard working and talented staff they have. You see your coworkers get discriminated against based on color and medical history. All you can do is let it happen because if you try and defend them or help them out. They come after you also. I could go on and on about this place bottom line. If you want a job that praises you for a job well done, has management that appreciates it's staff, a place where you can grow and move up. A place where nepotism is not so much and a place where they train you to exceed not fail. Then this is not the place for you. BEWARE...find something else and a better company that deserves your skill because this place does not.

Continue reading
    Edward McKay Used Books2015-09-30

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Edward McKay Used Books part-time

Pros

Good management Friendly atmosphere Workers are taken care for

Cons

none really. I enjoyed working there

Edward McKay Used Books2017-09-24
  2. "Closed and sold"

I worked at Edward McKay Used Books full-time

Pros

Free stuff, good coworkers, decent benefits

Cons

Nepotism, poor management and judgement

Edward McKay Used Books2017-08-31

Discover more reviews about Edward McKay Used Books.