Electric Cloud - Solving tough problems is well rewarded | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Electric Cloud

"Solving tough problems is well rewarded"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Electric Cloud has done a very good job of filtering for highly competent engineers and creating a culture of responsibility and accountability. If there are politics going on in the office, my manager and the VP of Engineering are doing a very good job of hiding it from the engineering team. I know that I can trust my coworkers to watch my back, and I watch theirs in return. The ElectricAccelerator product is solving some extremely tricky problems, so the barrier to entry for competition is high; the ElectricCommander product is in an easier field and just has to compete on excellence.

Cons

The ElectricAccelerator product is already mature, and much of the work is quite tricky, consisting of solving tricky edge cases, adapting to undocumented behaviors of popular operating systems, or integrating new features into an existing complex code base. It's hard to spend much time in a state of flow when working at your limits tackling extremely difficult problems. Because it has to emulate and interface with existing bodies of code, it's often impractical to abstract problems to a comfortable level, so development is more of a chore and less of the "they pay me to do something fun!" that you can get when writing code from scratch. If becoming expert in the minutia of the most detailed quirks of operating systems and development environments is your cup of tea, the work is superb for your career, but if you like abstraction and general-purpose architecture work, you're not going to get a lot of it.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain the culture of openness that the company has had from the start. Electric Cloud is the only company at which I've worked where the employees get to see the same presentation the board of directors do every month, and it gives me a lot more confidence in management than at previous companies.

Other Employee Reviews for Electric Cloud

1. "Sales Engineer"

I have been working at Electric Cloud full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment. Leadership in relatively new ARA market.

Cons

Customer strategy changes frequently. Weak set of distributers and partners.

2. "Technical Sales Manager"

I worked at Electric Cloud full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Continue to venture into leading trend of the IT industry. As a pioneer to expand current technology into DevOps opportunities.

Cons

Engineering resources are limited to address customer requests.