Electronic Arts - The best game job to learn good game development processes | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts

"The best game job to learn good game development processes"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

Pros

I work for Pogo, a division within Electronic Arts, and it is the most professional game company I have ever worked in. Particularly of note is the fact that they take careful measures to introduce processes to gauge and track project progress. They are extremely quick to adjust to schedule needs by providing additional resources, pushing back the schedule, or dropping features, and never consider overworking the employee as an option, even if it is in our nature to work harder as the typical crunch approaches. The work life balance is phenomenal, and I have never had better managers running our groups.

Cons

Pogo is production driven and focused on profit, which is clearly good. However, they are unfortunately extreme in that end and will play the conservative card far too much for my taste, resorting to requiring careful justification for any project that does not obvious return revenue. Certainly there is a point where you have to put some faith in your staff that a project is a good investment, even if that investment cannot be quantified in number of titles sold. This rigidity results in an inability to determine just how much less money-oriented projects can help other projects across the board. Unable to exactly quantify how much we lose on each of 15 projects because we don't implement one to shave time off them ends up in tossing the one project in the bin and having everything done less efficiency with no investment of time on proper tools, for instance.

Advice to Management

Promote your employees to the titles they deserve.

Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts

"Poor Corporate Culture & Direction Make This Video Game Publisher Not Fun (ironic, isn't it?)"

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Redwood City, CA

Pros

1) Talented individuals in different areas, most with a strong passion for gaming.
    2) Pseudo-corporate atmosphere (dress down, lots of rec areas, gaming encouraged).
    3) Free/cheap games.

Cons

1) Senior management has lost sight of what makes their business successful (answer: innovative and fun games, not half-assed sequels or franchises).
    2) Poor pay (in my opinion); bonuses were a joke.
    3) Those free/cheap games are unfortunately EA games.

Advice to Management

EA is still the 700 pound gorilla in the industry, but how I'm not quite sure. You spend your time dealing with "issues" like piracy, and cross selling, and this and that...how about just focusing on making fun games for people and treating your workers better?

2. "Great for training but don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Dev Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Dev Director in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Nice campus
    - The rsu's use to be good

Cons

- Still thinks they are number 1 and senior management believes that pretending you are number 1 will make it so
    - Too many HR and admin people that don't care about the industry and don't get it
    - Seriously lacking the guts to stop pumping out the franchises without taking a breath and reinventing them
    - Have seen the talent coming out of EA starting to really decline

Advice to Management

Quit, John get a whole new team in that understands how to turn the beast around and get hungry again, your rating is not a reflection of the vision you are trying to implement, but rather the fact that you keep killing the dev studios in these layoffs and not the overhead that is truly the drag on the company. Seriously shut down most of EARS for a month and see how much it doesn't impact the development (that should tell you something).