Electronic Arts - I enjoy working in EA. | Glassdoor

"I enjoy working in EA."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I like my life in EA. I have a lot of fun here developing my skills, building my career, and dealing with challenges. There are a lot of resources and connections waiting for you to utilize, as well as the opportunities to explore.

Cons

The pay is not very good comparing to other software companies. Also, EA is a big company so the pace might be slow sometimes.

Advice to Management

Make smart decisions.

Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts

"Like a frog sitting in a pot of heating water."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Redwood Shores, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Redwood Shores, CA

I worked at Electronic Arts as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great history and traditions for making big titles and games with emotion and intelligence. Some very qualified and thought driving people who truly reside on the cutting edge of where gaming is going. If you love gaming, part of the reason is because of an EA title.

Cons

Many times it was the Titanic heading towards the iceberg and management interested in deck chair arrangement. Not enough manager level and above employees were gamers. Heavy politicking occurred as a result of too many hires squabbling over too few responsibilities and the invention of "work". When a project has high visibility and high chance of success, it was slowed and bogged down by too many people trying to get their name attached to it. If a project is explosively innovative - everyone tried to get in the way. Rested on laurels too long - the world of gaming startups is outmaneuvering them. Once a proud and powerful whale, being devoured by faster, agile sharks.

The best way to get hired at EA is through acquisition.

Advice to Management

Check if people you hire actually play games- you hurt your brand, your customer relationships, your salesmanship, your credibility the less your employees know about what games are actually out there. How can you expect to compete against other large publishers if your FTE's don't know anything about gaming culture?

Your managers manage by fear.

You don't need 3 levels of directors.

Pay is dismal compared to your competition - again, you're leaning on people loving EA to make up for it. But your culture does not reflect that at all.

When you claim to have an open door policy, actually allow people to talk to you without barriers.

Culture is eroded and degraded from poor hiring practices and cronyism.

And #1 - don't use the contractor pool like an expendable, never ending resource. The reason why nothing gets done is that those that stay / want to stay are best at being political and squeezing the contractors out, not the most innovative, risk taking, qualified gamers. Your social capital is at an end.

2. "We make games, how cool is that?"

Current Contractor - Rendering Programmer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Contractor - Rendering Programmer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Electronic Arts as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

EA has a long and rich tradition of making great games, e.g... The Sims, Burnout, Madden, NFS Most Wanted and so many others. You'll work with teams that are passionate about making the world's best games, whether it's on console, PC, mobile, or any other platform. There are great opportunities at EA for career development across a range of game teams and studios worldwide.
    You can speak your mind and have your voice heard while working on great games and with great teams. At EA, we work hard, and play even harder.

-Good pay
    -Bragging rights

Cons

Although game design is a combination of science and art, unlike some more technical positions like web development, usually everyone (even non-designers) have opinions and will voice them "sometimes angrily!" This can be frustrating.

Lots of meetings.. Unlike writing code or doing work in a lab although to some extent, those tasks are also collaborative, there’s a lot of game design that can only be done in collaboration with others. If some of those others involved in the process are frustrating to work with, tough cookies.. Wacky!

-You work 24-48 hours at time
    -Stress, deadlines, budget issues