Electronic Arts - Come out of the ivory tower | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Electronic Arts

"Come out of the ivory tower"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Redwood City, CA

Pros

The corporate culture encourages open thinking, honesty and integrity. At the same time the people encourage me to come back day in and day out. The dynamic, fast paced environment esures that people stay on their toes.

Cons

The fast paced environment doesn't mesh with people who are set in their ways and in some cases, EA has changed faster than individuals have developed. This rub causes a consesus driven environment which requires everyone's buy in for some areas and in others changes are made with little notice to the employees. The employees that are resistant to change need to be eliminated. Also there is always a sense of budget constraints which looms over the entire organization. Also a lack of big picture focus means that teams are moving in different directions.

Advice to Management

IT needs reorg to put simple, but efficient processes in place for project management, too many consultants and PMs, not enough in house technical staff who can "do" the coding

Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts

1. "Opportunity exists at EA to make a difference"

Current Employee - Vice President in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Redwood City, CA

Pros

You can chart your own career path. There is more mobility between teams and functions than I have experienced in any other company. Management is approachable and available for mentoring. If you have an idea or aspiration, share it, and it can be realized.

Cons

There are still groups within the organization that are resistant to change, preferring to hold onto the status quo. Things are changing but change needs to occur faster.

Advice to Management

Increase the frequency and scope of communication so that staff can better connect what they are doing to the company's overall strategic mission. Celebrate successes publicly so employees can see what is required to transform how we work, game quality, customer service etc.

2. "Professional work for the kid in you."

Current Employee - Software Engineer III
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III

Pros

The people are fantastic to work with. Because EA is in the business of making games you get all walks of life. As an engineer I find it very enjoyable working with artist, game designers, and professional management types because it gives me a bit more perspective on our industry in general. Typically us "geeks" get very engrossed in the Tech side of things and a place like EA lets you come out of your shell a bit more. Also you are making a games which does add to the atmosphere of "fun". I have worked for other big companies and I feel that EA compensates well and they are trying to change as we the workers are aging (more time with family, etc). Last I would say as a "gamer" getting free EA games and having the Library where I can check out moves and games for free is a big plus.

Cons

The hours can be a bit "crunchy" sometime. Also these games are big money produces these days and this adds additional stress to make sure everything comes out on time.

Advice to Management

Just keep a constant open dialog with people. Sometimes it is very easy to fall into the "my door is always open" type of thing but I feel a good manager should also feel like "the employees door is always open" too and just swing by and shoot the breeze with people. This way your even your lowest employee feels like that can be open about things they see as wrong ... instead of just handing you their 2 weeks notice.