Electronic Arts - Work experience at EA | Glassdoor

"Work experience at EA"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Redwood City, CA

Pros

Get to work on games, what more one can ask for. Your work is very appreciated by your peers and management. Plenty of time given for time offs and a sabbatical of 7 weeks after 7 years. They have good benefits like ESPP, 401k, FSA, HSA, free 24 hour gym, free blu-ray/dvd borrowing. They also have flexible hours which is very much appreciated.

Cons

Big projects have long crunch mode. It can last for 4-6 months and your work life balance get. If you get stuck with a wrong manager you don't get promoted even if you deserve it. The compensation is not as much as the competition. 25% of workforce is Laid off in last 14 months so environment is kind of insecure.

Advice to Management

Give appropriate retention incentives to people working for EA. I think the incentives are very much skewed for senior people and the people in the middle are not getting enough share of the pie.

Other Employee Reviews for Electronic Arts

"Video Games, Sports, and Crunch."

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Orlando, FL

Pros

EA Tiburon is a great place to work if you love video games and sports. I have a lot of friends who are software engineers who just do a job because it's a job. I go to work excited (most days) to work on something I actually care about and am passionate about.

There's also no shortage of opportunity for advancement, recognition, and promotion at EA Tiburon. If you have good ideas and initiative, it doesn't take very long to get recognized and rewarded at Tiburon.

Cons

In a word - crunch. I've been in the game industry for over ten years, and even though things are generally better now than they were when I started, and there are genuine improvements being made every year, crunch still sucks. And since Tiburon makes mostly sports titles on annual release cycles, crunch happens every year. Expect to pretty much give up a few months of your family and social life every year.

Advice to Management

At Tiburon there's sometimes too much focus on pretty tech and feature bullet point lists. These things often exacerbate the crunch, without adding a whole lot of quality to the products.

"The People at the Top Wield All the Power"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

Pros

Name recognition, EA is a huge company so obviously other companies notice. But of course this also means you're planning on getting fired or laid off at some point, which is a sad reality. There's also more room for advancement theoretically in such a big company.

Cons

Pay is horrible. I was getting about 30% what somebody doing my exact job in non-game industry job would make, doing the same darn thing. Of course there's the constant fear of getting laid off, and the reality that EA doesn't exactly give any warning to us peons when that's going to happen.

Advice to Management

First of all, some warning that we'd all be canned would be nice. Up until the last week it was just "Keep working hard and building great things, you're doing awesome." and then "Yea you're not doing good enough you're all fired." Maybe before laying everyone off we could try to get back on track and do what you want us to do instead of just blanket firing everyone.