Ellucian - Tough Atmosphere to Work In. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ellucian

"Tough Atmosphere to Work In."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ellucian full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Coworkers and and flexible hours. Challenging work.

Cons

Layoffs. Not knowing when there will be more.
Poor Communication from Sr. Management

Advice to Management

Communicate.

Other Employee Reviews for Ellucian

"Once great, now not so much"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Ellucian full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location
    Higher Education market leader
    Former Datatel staff that remains

Cons

Explicitly profit driven
    Internal chaos since merger with SunGuard HE
    Zero job stability

Advice to Management

Remember the good things that made the former company Datatel a great place to work.

"High Employee Disengagement As People Vote With Their Feet"

Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Ellucian full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues, many great clients. Improved equipment/tech support for large remote workforce. New senior leader for IT has some wonderful ideas and appears confident he can execute...we're rooting for you! Travel routine is Monday out, Thursday evening home (if you can get a flight) for most traveling consultants.

Cons

Very negative energy employer. For consultants, your value is as a billable "head"; senior leaders have no interest in learning how you could use your broader skills/knowledge to help grow the business. Quite hierarchical.
    Missed sales targets in 2013 and 2014 is off to a very slow start, and Ellucian is not positioned well to compete with Workday and PeopleSoft Cloud market entry in 2015.
    Layoffs routine most quarters for the past two years. Employee engagement survey reveals high levels of active disengagement. Management-by-fear-of-job-loss is a norm. Former SGHE employees appear targeted for elimination.
    Extremely long hours, culture of night/weekend work; traveling consultants can expect to be on the road every week they do not have as vacation.
    Bonus plan measures are not items controlled/influenced by our performance or behavior so smack of ridiculous. Benefits for all have been reduced over the last two years, and more benefits reductions are on the horizon. Stack-ranking is common practice. Managers required to rate 10%+ of employees as low performers, in every work unit.
    No career paths or support for growth. Outside of HR, no women in senior leader roles. Strong, internal, women candidates passed over for inexperienced, external, men, including some friends of management. Not a supportive work environment for women who would like to grow a career. Chronic reorganitis in Consulting Services has impacted morale as a result of having had a new manager every six months on average for the past three years. It is not uncommon for a manager to supervise 22-30 people, for a manger to never have met a direct report, and for your client facing work to never be observed by your management. Clients are not longer provided with an opportunity to provide feedback on consultant performance, eliminating a key method of identifying opportunity for improvement or to provide recognition.
    There is pressure from HR to bring new hires in at market rates they have determined (without consultation/validation by unit managers), while high performing, long term employees - often in a higher grade position - are paid significantly less than this "market rate", with no plan for salary equity reviews as standard in the future.
    It is clear that remote employees are treated as second-class citizens as compared to those that work in the corporate office. New directive is that all future hires who manage must work from an office location (to reduce costs and leverage office space), a clear step backwards, and a clear impediment to hiring the best candidates, no matter where they live.
    Many people are open about job-hunting, and several key managers have left in the last 6 months, are leaving soon, or are actively searching for a better work culture. Finding new employment is challenging; an excessively restrictive non-compete contract is required of all employees, and Ellucian is actively taking legal action against several folks who've left in the last 6-8 months and moved to other companies (though not in a higher ed unit at that company.) This leaves many team members - including this one - feeling "trapped"...no way to move up, no way to move out within the higher ed industry.

Advice to Management

I would be naive to think that anyone at Ellucian would take my advice, this is not a culture where advice, ideas, input are - in reality - truly solicited and valued at the Senior VP level and above. Though you will often hear talk about transparency and collaboration (a purported value), most decisions and directives are top down.
     I don't believe the the CEO is "in touch" with the reality of the poor morale in the field despite the outcome of the employee engagement survey. His own thoughtless actions (publicly behaving differently to former SGHE team members than the warmth he shows former Datatel team members) is sad (I don't believe it's on purpose, however it's sad nonetheless.)
    The HR unit continues to be disconnected from us "people" (as we're referred to), despite new leadership. Senior Managers are treated by HR personnel as if they are inexperienced, untrustworthy, unreliable, and just plain stupid. I'm left with a perception that HR is not a champion for me, the employee, but take action to represent the business interests of the Board, CEO, and CFO.
    My best advice is for senior leadership to humble themselves to accept the reality of the true current state and demonstrate by their actions a willingness to change personally, and to actively work to recruit and hire a diverse senior leader team...even clients notice (quick example, on a recent campus visit, a woman VP at a campus looked around at the Ellucian visitors in the room and was overheard saying to her colleague, "Don't any women work at Ellucian?") We all lose if behavior at the top doesn't move the needle in a positive direction soon. Unfortunately I am not confident that current leadership has the ability to take action with any success.