Elmer's Crane and Dozer - This company values integrity, quality, and service! | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Elmer's Crane and Dozer

"This company values integrity, quality, and service!"

I have been working at Elmer's Crane and Dozer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pays for my entire families health insurance base plan - at no cost to me. Provides free yearly Wellness check by third party to get free yearly insurance. Provides dollar match for every dollar contributed up to 3% of salary for 401(k). Great pay for work performed. Co-workers are fun, respectful, and top notch. Best Company Picnic! Great equipment that is safe, clean, and runs well. Free safety training to employee to update qualifications. They understand the best asset they have is me and my co-workers (their employees.)

Cons

Pay starts when you get on the jobsite. Plus side - If you travel outside of the local radius (out of town) you do get a per diem. Another plus, they actively pursued work out of their usual service radius to keep employees working. I appreciate the effort.

Advice to Management

Keep looking to grow local work. I like sleeping in my own bed at night.

Other Employee Reviews for Elmer's Crane and Dozer

1. "Great Career, Great People, Great Place!"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Elmer's Crane and Dozer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, 401K matched 50%, Pto, Major Holidays off, Health Insurance, Opportunity to grow and advanced

Cons

Not really any cons other than long hours during the construction season.

Advice to Management

I have the benefit of having a good mix of working in the field and in the office. I get to see many of my coworkers and places around our great state.

My manager has been great to work for and with. They have taken time to mentor me, and teach me about the industry as well as provide opportunities for me to grow in my field both at Team Elmer's and outside of Team Elmer's. The owners are very generous people who do not stop giving to their employees and the communities we serve. I feel that they truly want their people and communities to succeed.

Team Elmer's provides training at company's coast while paying their employees to attend the training. From other jobs that I've had this was not the case.

One of the biggest differences I've noticed working here at Team Elmer's is that when a co-worker needs help or is going through a rough time, everybody (co-workers, managers, and owners) chip in to help. For example, we had one employee diagnosed with cancer and could not work. People chipped in to cut his grass, help with repairs around the house, chip in to assist with finances and through a benefit. After he passed away the company and other co-workers still assist and include his family. This is just one example of many.

Team Elmer's has a corporate chaplain who is available for all employees and their families. This is something rarely seen in the corporate world these days.

During the construction season, there is a lot of travel and a lot of hours of work to be done. Each job and location differs in difficulty and there are times where you may have to work longer than planned and miss or be late to a family event/activity. As long as you go into working at Team Elmer's with the mindset that you are going to be working hard and it will be worth it (which it will) it will get you through the tougher work.

For me, the most enjoyable part is; I see all that we do, how well we do it, and I get to know the great and brilliant people who make it happen. I am proud to be part of a great company, made possible by amazing people.

2. "Horrible!!"

Former Employee - Redi-Mix Driver in Oscoda, MI
    Former Employee - Redi-Mix Driver in Oscoda, MI

I worked at Elmer's Crane and Dozer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing I can think of.

Cons

Lied to when hired in. I was told I was supposed to be full time gravel train driver, instead I was a part time redi-mix driver. I have 11 years of experience driving a truck with doubles while the other 3 who hired in at the same time who got the gravel train position, 2 of them just got their CDL 2 weeks prior and 1 was a school bus driver. While the other drivers were on 15 or so calls a day I did the grunt work. Even that wasn't good enough. I would sweep but get cussed at to clean counters, I would mow the lawn but get cussed at to grease trucks, I would grease trucks and get cussed at to go sweep. I wasn't allowed to step foot into the office without being told to get out and when he wanted to see my face he would call me. And I wasn't allowed a smoke break because I wasn't finished with my jobs.

Advice to Management

Why would you keep a manager like that around for so many years when he treats employees like garbage? When a complaint is made don't tell that employee that the manager is more valuable to the company and do nothing.