Elsevier - Can I sue for lost professional years? | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Elsevier

"Can I sue for lost professional years?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Elsevier full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with generous time off.

Cons

Got a masters and tried my hardest to advance. Sought career counselors, actually paid $500 for a career coach, thinking all this time it was me that was the problem, and that it was my own fault I was stuck in the same position for almost a decade. Turns out everyone is having the same problem. I'm now at a company where my skills and effort are valued... I almost don't know how to respond to that kind of positive environment after Elsevier. But I am finally healing. Just stay away if you can.

Advice to Management

Abandon ship. This problem isn't only at the middle management level. Something needs to be completely revamped to fix internal problems.

Other Employee Reviews for Elsevier

"Great people to work with..."

I have been working at Elsevier full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love the work environment, the friendly people I work with, and the benefits.

Cons

There aren't many logical avenues up and out of this position. The Talent Hub does not seem to be implemented at the lower levels... at least, not yet.

Advice to Management

Values on your own talent within the company is talked about, but rarely have I seen people in similar roles promoted.

"Where Careers Go to Die: Elsevier Health Science"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Elsevier full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid educational product line. Great clients. Interesting sales process and engaging solution sales - especially on the PSE side.

Cons

Micromanagement. Sr. Sales leaders were promoted into their positions during an up economy, but with no true understanding of what it takes to sell in current environment. Unintentional diminishers who led to dissatisfied employees and low productivity. Managers given little respect. Meanness valued over compassion. Reps were not given any authority or independence. Processes were non-existent, or worse - crippling. Leadership more interested in protecting their own jobs than creating opportunities or resolving the underlying issues that make selling nearly impossible. Terribly Place to Work if you are a true sales professional. Expect to have every decision questioned and not to be trusted. There's only one smart person in the room and if you're a rep or a front line manager, you can rest assured that no one in the D or VP suite will think it's you. Decisions take forever to make - leading to lost opportunity and revenue.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to recognize talent. Help empower your leaders rather than diminishing them. Create reporting structures that make sense and operationalize the sales processes that cripple your sales staff's ability to perform their jobs.