Embassy Suites - Great environment, poor management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Embassy Suites

"Great environment, poor management"

Current Employee - Cook in East Peoria, IL
Current Employee - Cook in East Peoria, IL

I have been working at Embassy Suites part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone is very friendly with each other and willing to go the extra mile.

Cons

Big problem with overall management. They do everything based upon hotel occupancy and not based upon how the guests are actually using the hotel's services.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. They are the ones interacting with guests.

Other Employee Reviews for Embassy Suites

1. "Pleasant exterior hides major dysfunction"

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Tigard, OR

I worked at Embassy Suites part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros I could think of were the proximity to where I lived and how quickly I was hired. BUT...a possible credit check was set to be done after I accepted the position so that almost immediately took away any feeling of security I had in my new job.

Cons

HR. Plainly and simply, the HR manager at this location is on a huge power trip and seems to solely be there to try to intimidate people and make them into fearful automatons.

No training was provided. I was hired for the accounting dept and the location it was in was in the back of the building in this windowless hole of a room. The Controller offered no practical training, instead sitting me down and instructing me to fill in cells in this spreadsheet as she sat there and directed me on it. Training wasn't done in increments, it wasn't made focused, interesting or welcoming. I immediately spoke up about this and was told that was okay - that the training would be structured differently come Monday.

I go in the following Monday and was coldly told by the Controller that the HR manager wanted to see me. Once there, I was then berated and treated as if I had done something wrong in speaking up. I told the HR woman this was between me and my supervisor and she replied "But I'm HR" and I finally just got up and walked out. No trust - Controller threw me under the bus and this played right into the hateful HR's hands.

Advice to Management

This location is managed by Spire Hospitality. My advice to Spire is to stop treating innocent people like they've done something wrong or are about to. You don't need to random drug test, have performance reviews twice a year, have a paranoid attitude towards employee email and computer usage, not allow employees to use cell phones and do both background and credit checks. All of this is very over the top and so is the huge, thick employee handbook binder.

As a Gen X employee who has had the pleasure and good fortune to spend my first ten years in the workforce at two very relaxed, employee-centered companies, I can tell you that your policies are oppressive and will backfire and not give you the results you want. This kind of bullying may work on younger people but a good number of older folks will see right through it. This location will eventually lose all decent people and fold because of your hateful policing of the workers and treating them like felons.

2. "head chef"

Current Employee - Head Chef in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Head Chef in Miami, FL

I have been working at Embassy Suites full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

i would love to have a new experience to be the head chef

Cons

i don't see the bad side

Advice to Management

ask questions to customers like hows the food,hows your stay at the hotel