Emerald Technology Recruitment - Where to begin.... | Glassdoor

"Where to begin...."

Current Employee - Resourcer in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than a year

Pros

City centre location is convenient.

Cons

Joined the business after being bowled over and blown away by what was said and promised in my interview. After a few months though I realised that a lot of what was said and promised was in fact not true or at least greatly exaggerated. The directors convey no trust in any employee and are so ridiculously concerned with their own reputations and misplaced belief that the company is the best in the world that the... staff get treated awfully. You are expected to put any life outside of work on hold to ensure that promises made outside of your control are met. if you don't work 10+ hours a day you are made to feel like you are not good enough for the company and should go and work for a lesser organisation, as you clearly are not worth their time. You are expected to dial the phone relentlessly for 6.5/7 hours a day relentlessly if you do anything except grind out endless calls you are publicly scrutinised or as the directors like to say 'Blasted.' Emerald has a process for recruitment that must be followed to the letter, in order to get on you must be a yes man and happy to do the same things day in day out (churn candidates out for the directors) otherwise you are again "blasted"

Advice to Management

The company could do great things, however the directors inability to step back and not micro-manage every person creates a bad environment and causes a lot of people to dread coming into work. I hope things improve or I worry that many people will leave.

Emerald Technology Recruitment2017-09-05

Emerald Technology Recruitment Response

September 8, 2017Operations Co-ordinator

Thank you for your comments and your compliment that the company can do great things. I'm keen to address and re-assure you on each point of your review. Interviewing - We have adjusted our interview process to help people get to know the company. our final interview is time on the office floor with the chance to ask any questions to anyone on the sales floor. Staff treatment - We truly believe that without our people we are nothing and our people are the true unique selling point vs our competitors. We now have weekly and daily early finish incentives, every Friday we buy breakfast for the workforce and most of all we reward achievement. Work life balance - This is important to us; our standard hours are 8.30 - 5.30 Monday to Friday. We also trust people with access to the offices so they can come and go as they see fit. With our standard hours someone should be able to get their work done - as we work globally there is no doubt going to be times when our people have to go the extra mile and work out of standard hours. We issue company mobile phones to help with that and our senior people have laptops. As any recruitment business there are core work times during the day and we enjoy having a good "buzz" in the office. we drive our people on success and delivering a great service not on call numbers... these tend to be used to have some fun in competitions and incentives. Micro management - We work with our people to encourage them to set their own weekly objectives and ensure they are realistic and achievable. Our leadership team are empowered to help individuals develop and help them understand the stepping stones in the recruitment process. So, micromanagement isn't something we practice at our business. Process: We are passionate about our service to clients and its a key reason why we are the No1 Technology search firm in the world. We are in a service driven business so process represents service. As people progress they can add to this process and work autonomously - we are proud of our Search and Selection process so its vital we recruit people that feel the same. I hope from the above you can see some positive changes and re-assurance that we are doing all we can to keep our people engaged. We have appointed a Learning and Development manager to ensure our people are given every chance to progress and be successful in their time at Emerald. Our learning and Development manager continues to have regular 121 meetings with everyone, so should you actually be one of our current employees please speak with our L&D manager and discuss your frustrations and I feel confident he will help. Thanks again

Other Employee Reviews

1. "review"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Dubai

I have been working at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great team environment, working with fantastic clients in tech space

Cons

no cons that i can think of

Emerald Technology Recruitment2019-07-21
  2. "No integrity from the Top down coupled with a bullying culture"

Former Employee - Consultant in Birmingham, England

I worked at Emerald Technology Recruitment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At the very beginning - the training was good and you will get chance to work with good Tech Companies.

Cons

If your thinking about joining this company "Then Don't" - The senior management have zero integrity, coupled with a huge favouritism problem which runs deep throughout the business, as well as the international offices. I have spent well over three years with this organisation and witnessed first hand bullying on a staggering scale, and some management even encouraging the culture of making others feel very... uncomfortable in the work place. Emerald expects you to be working every hour of the day, mapping in your own time and then will verbally whip you to be on the phone all day like an animal. You will quickly find out that the "few favourites" in the office will be award all the best an most engaged search projects to work, while others who are not part of the "click" will be handed dreadful and heavily contingent projects which have very little chance of placing, they will then follow this up with very aggressive performance management techniques to either make you leave or fire you - They will also then keep your commission after this process - I have witnessed many people be fired in a 3 year period - Emerald is the definition of a sack happy company - My advice before joining this organisation is to find people who have previously worked there and they will open your eyes just how bad the place really is. Emerald Consistently force people to fill out employee surveys which everyone is terrified to say how they really feel, so just say what senior management want to hear for an easier life - Seriously don't go join here.

Advice to Management

Your sack happy culture, bullying and aggressive nature will never change, so whats the point of offering any advice.

Emerald Technology Recruitment2019-07-24

Discover more reviews about Emerald Technology Recruitment.